Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys im a little confused. i installed a solid lifter cam into my 460. everything runs pretty good and i get that quite and sometimes loud lifter noise you know.. but what im wondering is i called crane cams and they said "twenty thousands valve lash" but the tech sheet says 0.020 in my mind 0.020 is "twenty hundredths" so which is it? what feeler gauge do i use? 0.020 or 0.002? i have both but 0.002 seems really small and i might as well just set it to zero lash when its cold and thatll do the job... but if its 0.020 then ill use the gauge while its hot... also ive had to adjust the valve 3 times... within 400 miles and i dont drive it rough...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright guys im a little confused. i installed a solid lifter cam into my 460. everything runs pretty good and i get that quite and sometimes loud lifter noise you know.. but what im wondering is i called crane cams and they said "twenty thousands valve lash" but the tech sheet says 0.020 in my mind 0.020 is "twenty hundredths" so which is it? what feeler gauge do i use? 0.020 or 0.002? i have both but 0.002 seems really small and i might as well just set it to zero lash when its cold and thatll do the job... but if its 0.020 then ill use the gauge while its hot... also ive had to adjust the valve 3 times... within 400 miles and i dont drive it rough...

or are they referring to 0.001 x 20? because then that would be 0.020...

·
Ford Hoarder
6,282 Posts
Should be as your 2nd example.... .020" It would be bad idea to set to 0 cold as usually that lash is taken up somewhat as things heat up.
.020" also sounds like a reasonable # for valve lash to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be as your 2nd example.... .020" It would be bad idea to set to 0 cold as usually that lash is taken up somewhat as things heat up.
.020" also sounds like a reasonable # for valve lash to me.
thanks! ya i just relashed the ones that were too lose and left the tight ones, and it ran just fine. the engine makes 500hp and 600 ft but im not looking for extrerme horsepower so ill redo them all when i did a oil change next time. thanks!

ok so to be clear 0.020 is "twenty thousands" seems like someone should say "2 hundredths" but i guess im not a metrology

1 - 5 of 5 Posts