Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to know how much valve lift is acceptable on a set of stock 351W heads. ANyone know? Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What? no one has any ideas??

·
Registered
547 Posts
badblack88 said:
What? no one has any ideas??

absolute positively no more then a half inch. that way you don't need to worry much about valves hitting the tops of the stock flat top pistons. Please consider the source, I'm an electrician.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
dunno much about windsors, but my guess is if you step up your cam or increase your Rocker ratio your going to bind your valve springs. They always recommend to buy your springs, lifters and cam matched from the same manufacturer.

you can call up any local machine shop or a cam grinder they will be able to tell you what you can and cannot do.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The heads don't care how much valve lift you have... The pistons sure do!

why do you ask? What cam are you thinking of using?

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Slap a piece of clay on the piston tall enough to hit a closed valve. Install the head. Remove the head. Measure the squished clay. Of course this will only be for you installed piston. If you get a different type you better check again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
badblack88 said:
I searched, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to know how much valve lift is acceptable on a set of stock 351W heads. ANyone know? Thanks
When you say "stock", just what year are we talking about? Is this a 351 engine or a 302 w/351 heads? Why do you want more lift, what is/are your intentions?Street, or off road only, average of your intended altitude.
Details man, we need details!
'68/71 four barrel engines used flat top pistons, about .488 is it
69/77 two barrel engines had dished pistons, most can handle .512 without fly cutting.
78/2003 Ihave no friggin idea what they had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts