Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds like a timing issue but I have set the timing 6000 different ways and it still rattles under load at low rpms. it is a 88 bronco with the 302ho. it runs good other than the rattle, could use a little more power but thats a different story;)

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Try a higher octane fuel and if that doesn't work than try checking your knock sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I normally use plus but I have gotten premiem the last 2 fill ups. where is the knock sensor on our broncos?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
On top of the block, behind the intake manifold near the centre

check for codes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had auto zone check the codes cause they do it free;) and the only code it showed was for vthe vacuum canister they said????

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It could be an exhaust leak,eg:cracked exhaust manifold,broken AIR check valve behind the upper intake on the pipe that is bolted to the back of the cylinder heads.If you can hear the noise under load(in gear with the brakes on and increasing the rpm slightly),it is probably an exhaust leak.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Timing/tune up?

·
Registered
153 Posts
does it doe it at start up? how many miles on the motor? could be piston skirt slap. and hows your oil press while pulling hard?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Carb or EFI? If EFI don't forget to remove the spout before you check/set timing. Make sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere. I just squirt my engine while it is running with simple green. the liquid will block a vacuum leak and you will notice the idle improvement. Besides....keeps the mother clean to and is nonflammable. :toothless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts