Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
canadive said:
Hey Everyone, I'm lookin for a tailgate for my 86... Wreckers seem to be out... anyone know of one? I don't mind a little rust. Thanks!
Canadian Tire, that's where

In Ontario I didn't stand a chance of finding a rust-free tailgate for my 86' and besides the junkyard guys wanted a lefticle for the used rust-junk they did have.

Got a brand new shell from CrossCanada (catalog available under their CTC counter) for $300.00 Canadian.

They special ordered it in for me from the Cross Canada catalog. Took three days the first time (dented, sent it back), three days the second time (dented again) and two days, well wrapped the third time.

How did it fit you say ? Perfectly and surprisingly strong for a Taiwanese part. I could not justify parting with a king's ransom at the stealership for a genuine Ford gate.

I'm usually around 330 lbs and I ain't bent or dented it yet crawling over it.

You can bet your British Columbian @$$ I painted it inside and out first and even pre-undercoated the inside, after closing all seams with extra body seam caulking;

Check these areas out before you just sling on the new gate. I was horrified what I found, while slapping on new rear quarters, but the repair was fairly easy;

Good luck

Sixlitre

p.s./
say, where are you on the island ? I used to live in Courtneay, many, many moons ago and my 86's was originally bought on Vancouver Island.

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
back in about 2000, I bought a brand new one from the stealership for about $350, I have it installed on my bko right now

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am also in Ontario and I bought mine for slightly over $300 at NAPA.
It is the same as "Sixlitre's" and came in mint shape in the box less then 24 hours after I ordered it. Sheduled to be installed in early July.......... I'll post before and after pics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm in Victoria, grew up in Nanaimo and Parksville. Just bought the truck a week ago, already throwin parts at it.... I'll be givin crappy tire a shout about that gate.... Thanks for the pics.... How hard was it transplanting the window hardware to the new one?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
canadive said:
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm in Victoria, grew up in Nanaimo and Parksville. Just bought the truck a week ago, already throwin parts at it.... I'll be givin crappy tire a shout about that gate.... Thanks for the pics.... How hard was it transplanting the window hardware to the new one?
Would have been a walk in the park

but I done busted off one of the studs on the track that hold the glass in. Luckily I fashioned a new stud and had my neighbour tack weld it in for me.

Other than that it really isn't hard at all.

Sixlitre

p.s./
That parts throwing.....get used to it, they're very parts hungry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts