Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I haven't posted in a minute on here, but you guys are hella knowledgable. Some dude ask if he could leave his explorer at my sisters house and hasnt called in months. mean while the vehicle is still in her driveway. How do I get rid of it? I know in cali there was some way to file a lein or something to own it and do what you want. Does that make sense?:red x

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
she let a stranger park at her house?
someone left a car in our lot at work, we towed that bastige after a couple days, at the owners expense, the tow was probably worth more than the car

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Interesting. She made a very bad choice letting a stranger park in her driveway, especcially without even getting his contact info or setting up some sort of agreement with him.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Hey, I haven't posted in a minute on here, but you guys are hella knowledgable. Some dude ask if he could leave his explorer at my sisters house and hasnt called in months. mean while the vehicle is still in her driveway. How do I get rid of it? I know in cali there was some way to file a lein or something to own it and do what you want. Does that make sense?:red x
I'm sure an Attorney will eventually chime in here.

I believe she made the mistake of not having an understanding with this guy on how long he could leave it. Having said that there is no expectation of it being unending.

If she just wants it gone she can send a certified letter to this guy warning him that he has 30 days to remove his property or she will have it removed.

It depends on the state, but I believe she can begin charging him a reasonable storage fee if he declines to get his property in a reasonable time.

If he still does not retrieve it and refuses to pay for the storage (if she warned him beforehand) in some states she can then file a lien against his vehicle for fees owed for storage. The court would then grant her an order of ownership of the vehicle she could then take to the DMV and apply for a Title of ownership of the vehicle.

I'm sure one of the Attorneys can explain it better than I did.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
the legal term is a bailment and specific law varies from state to state.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
Just put a sign up on the car that says

"FREE CAR, JUST GET IT STARTED"

and see what happens :D

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I would start by calling the Police out to do a report on a abandoned car. Im sure the Officer could be of some help in getting her started in the right direction on what to do. At the very least he/she could run the tags and give a possiable address of the owner. Good Luck.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
push it into the middle of the street and then call the police saying "someone left their car in the middle of the street...i have no idea whose it is" haha

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
push it into the middle of the street and then call the police saying "someone left their car in the middle of the street...i have no idea whose it is" haha
thats what I would do...and if the owner asks...tell them you thought it had been stolen and you had know way to contact them.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
By "some dude" do you mean some guy you're sister knows and you don't or some guy that just walked off the street and asked to park there? If it is some stranger than call the cops and get them to tow it.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
You know, my grandfather was about to do the same thing with a little toyota camery that some young girl ask to leave at his house. Well, he told her not to let it there over 2 months and she came back at the middle of the second month and ask to keep it there longer...Nope, well she got angery at him and complained and made exusese...Well, after she told him that he threatened to call the cops or push it out on the street like Stan mentioned.

She did come and get it a day or two was up, but my grandfather is a very nice person...She did actually pay him a little money for keeping it, no apology, but still.

I would say call the cops and figure out what can be done...I would make sure someone can back up your (Person with the problem) claim that someone ask to leave it there. Cops will probably look up the vin or licence plate to see who its registered to.

Good luck
KC

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
its probably not registered anymore if it has been left there for a while. I only say move it on your own and then call the cops because I had a problem with my neighbor parking his car in front of my house. After asking him to move it numerous times and him giving me attitude and being a dick, i pulled out my floor jack, lifted the rear axle and dragged it in front of his house. :goodfinge

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
its probably not registered anymore if it has been left there for a while. I only say move it on your own and then call the cops because I had a problem with my neighbor parking his car in front of my house. After asking him to move it numerous times and him giving me attitude and being a dick, i pulled out my floor jack, lifted the rear axle and dragged it in front of his house. :goodfinge
:histerica Stan you are Da Man! :beer

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
:histerica Stan you are Da Man! :beer

Thanks man :thumbup

Stan, you did that, id have never guessed

But I like it.

Yeah, dude took my parking spot :twak in front of my own house! Park in front of your own damn house :smilie_slap . It was a lot tougher to do than I thought, just do it with at least two people so you can control the jack and one pushes from the hood. :beer

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
I say call the cops and let them figure out who owns the car. Someone/insurance co. maybe looking for it and that maybe the fastest way for it to be gone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts