Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know about what it should cost to transport a non-running 1978 Bronco about 335 miles on a rollback? The vehicle was given to me by my step dad right before he passed away in September, so I want to make sure that it gets here as safely as possible. Money isn't a huge issue, but every dollar that I save on transport is a dollar that I can spend on fixing her up. I don't have any experience with vehicle shipping and want to make sure that I get a fair deal.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations for long-distance shipping, I am all ears. I have looked into renting a trailer from U-Haul, but I would also have to rent a truck since my Sonoma is only rated to pull 5200 lbs. It also seems like it would be difficult to load a non-running vehicle onto such a trailer.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
It would seem that shipping via rollback would be very expensive, I would guess about 5-600 dollars. I would try a shipper that wil ship yours with other vehicles, usually cheaper. I'm not sure how hard it would be for one of the larger shippers to do a non running vehicle. I guess the best thing would be to just call and ask. My dad had a CJ-7 shipped from Colorado to Ohio for 600 bucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with trying to ship with one of those companies is that they usually want you to deliver the vehicle to their facility which I can't do since the vehicle isn't running or tagged. I can't get it tagged until I get it inspected in NC. A catch 22.

I did get a bid back from FedEx vehicle shipping for $1400 which seemed a bit high for me, but I think their shipping is geared more towards high dollar vehicles.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
You should go online and check about vehicle shipping I had a quote to deliver from Indy to Moab, UT and it was like 780 one way but they do ask about where it will be picked up and it's running condition.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Get it running buy a trip permit, grab the tool box, a tent and a case of beer and drive it home. hell of alot cheaper. :beer

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
http://www.uship.com/

It's free to list and should end up with somebody willing to haul it for $1 a mile or less in order to fill deck space.
Just make sure they are insured and licensed.

Most will have an in-op winch charge on top of the mileage either built into the bid or part of it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get it running buy a trip permit, grab the tool box, a tent and a case of beer and drive it home. hell of alot cheaper. :beer
Unfortunately, NC does not have a trip permit like you guys have up in the northwest. Also, I don't have the time to spend in WV to diagnose the problems, order the parts, and fix her up. Good thought though. If this was an option for me, it is definitely the way I would go.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
having mine shipped from Santa Rosa, CA to Long Island , door to door for $1100 with dasautoshippers.com
~37 cents a mile sounds like a heck of a deal to me. Those long distance hauls give you the ability to split the cost with more vehicles. I'm guessing that I'll be lucky to find something at about $1.50 to $2.00 per loaded mile.

·
green ones make me horny
11,156 Posts
rent a rollback if you can and go get it. there is no special license requirements to operate one, you just have to be taught how to use it, and it is hella easy

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
AutoGO Auto Transport
877-668-3735

I have used them to transport several cars from CA to IN. $600 for a 4runner & $750 for a 63 Pontiac Grand Prix. Both were non-op and they had no issues with a carrier coming to retrieve the vehicles. Just need to let them know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I sold a Mustang (it did not run) to a guy once and he called his AAA. He did not have to go as far as you, but it may be worth a phone call? Also, I was on a road trip once when the a friends care broke down. We still wanted to go to the beach, so he called AAA. The wrecker said he could only go 100 miles, so he towed it 100 miles, then he called another wrecker and he towed it another 100 miles. Needless to say we did this all the way to the beach. Kinda of pain but it was cheap. He got the care fixed while at the beach and we drove home. It made for a interesting road trip!

·
Registered
1 Posts
NationalTransportLLC.com has a nice quote form on their site. You can see the rate immediately without even talking with anyone or waiting for an email.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Do a search for free auto shipping quotes online and choose which one you want. They'll send you quotes for months if you don't remove your name from the list after you place an order though. Some truckers want twice as much as others do, too, for some reason. They can deliver door to door too. I must have recieved 50 quotes in the last 3 months.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I bought my bronco off Ebay and had it hot-shoted from Baton Rouge to my door in Dallas TX for $440. I went online and filled out a request and had 30 companies emailing me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Any update on this yet?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any update on this yet?
I have requested quotes from a few places that people above have mentioned. I am going to wait another week for quotes since it is the holidays. So far, I have 4 bids coming in at $500, $600, $900, and $1400. But working in local government has taught me that the low bid is seldom the best deal.:deal

My local mechanic just bought a rollback and is also going to give me a price. He is amazingly honest and does really excellent work. If he can give me a competitive offer, I would like to go with him. This truck has a lot of sentimental value to me and he knows this.

I will definitely give you guys a full recap when I get my truck delivered. I am shooting for mid February. Thanks for all your help so far and feel free to keep it coming.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you say the truck is in W.v. If so what part.
Yes, the truck is currently in WV. To be exact, it is in Shepherdstown in the eastern panhandle. I'm pretty familiar with your part of the state though. My wife and I went to WV Wesleyan in Buckhannon and still have a number of friends in Fairmont, Clarksburg, and Buckhannon.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have requested quotes from a few places that people above have mentioned. I am going to wait another week for quotes since it is the holidays. So far, I have 4 bids coming in at $500, $600, $900, and $1400. But working in local government has taught me that the low bid is seldom the best deal.:deal

My local mechanic just bought a rollback and is also going to give me a price. He is amazingly honest and does really excellent work. If he can give me a competitive offer, I would like to go with him. This truck has a lot of sentimental value to me and he knows this.

I will definitely give you guys a full recap when I get my truck delivered. I am shooting for mid February. Thanks for all your help so far and feel free to keep it coming.
I work for local govt too. I got a great deal by calling a more reputable/expensive company and telling them what the shady companies had quoted me. They did not match the quote, but knocked a couple hundred off their original quote.

I would not use Angels moving Autos if you hear from them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts