Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in patch panels probably 12 years ago, those are starting to bubble up so I figured it's time for complete quarter panels (along with rockers, pillars, and floor pieces)

Anyone know if the inner bedside wheel wells from an f-150 are the same as the bronco's? Thinking of getting the inner bedside panel for an f-150 and cutting out the wheel wells rather than trying (and failing) to mold sheet metal.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
233 Posts
Hey man,
I actually had the same issue with rust on the wheel wells as you. I plasma cut the rust away. Then took card board and laid it on and trimmed it up to make it match the whole i cut out. Plasma cut the piece you traced out of some metal you have. The just tac weld it in place a little at a time so you can hammer it into shape. Then if you got any holes you could just take some black window sealer and lay it out around the welds.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man,
I actually had the same issue with rust on the wheel wells as you. I plasma cut the rust away. Then took card board and laid it on and trimmed it up to make it match the whole i cut out. Plasma cut the piece you traced out of some metal you have. The just tac weld it in place a little at a time so you can hammer it into shape. Then if you got any holes you could just take some black window sealer and lay it out around the welds.
Wish I had a plasma cutter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally had some time to update. Quarter panels are off

Body mounts are off and the body is lifted about 4 inches off the frame. Figured out why my spare tire had been moving my quarter panel in every time I closed it. The area on the cross sill where the three pieces meet and are spot welded all together was rusted through completely on both sides

Initial thought was to just cut out pieces that were rusted and weld in new pieces but upon closer inspection, the areas where the the pieces meet have surface rust in between so, I removed all the spot welds and removed the supports and the cross sill. The inner most supports or pillars? were sandblasted, cancer cut out and new metal welded in (welding skills need practice)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next two sections that have the tailgate hardware were pretty bad.

Rather than than attempt to shape sheet metal to fit, I just cut in sections and kept what viable bends were left.

I'm happy with how they turned out even with my feeble welding skills.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
233 Posts
Damn that looks good. If you end up getting a good look at the mounts for the rear sill I would love to see some good pictures of it. Im planning on replacing mine and your getting to look in areas most people never get to see very well. Welds look great I wouldn't stress.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn that looks good. If you end up getting a good look at the mounts for the rear sill I would love to see some good pictures of it. Im planning on replacing mine and your getting to look in areas most people never get to see very well. Welds look great I wouldn't stress.
Here's what I can do for now. This is the bed with the cross sill removed and body lifted off the frame. You can see on the frame rails-the rusted out holes that the body mounts sandwich between.

And here is the old cross sill. In the picture, on the right half of the cross sill, the bed panels overlap onto the cross sill and are spot welded to the sill. The body mount bolt and washer go through the hole, through the sill and into the body mount lower retainer attaching the sill, bed panels, and frame.

And here is a view of the underside of the cross sill. You can see where the upper body mount retainer goes against the sill. On the corners you can see where the sill was spot welded to the two pieces I worked on above. When that area rusts out your quarter panels lose their rigidity and if you have a spare tire carrier, that just moves the quarter panel in and out and screws up your tailgate.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
233 Posts
Here's what I can do for now. This is the bed with the cross sill removed and body lifted off the frame. You can see on the frame rails-the rusted out holes that the body mounts sandwich between.
View attachment 172635

And here is the old cross sill. In the picture, on the right half of the cross sill, the bed panels overlap onto the cross sill and are spot welded to the sill. The body mount bolt and washer go through the hole, through the sill and into the body mount lower retainer attaching the sill, bed panels, and frame.
View attachment 172636

And here is a view of the underside of the cross sill. You can see where the upper body mount retainer goes against the sill. On the corners you can see where the sill was spot welded to the two pieces I worked on above. When that area rusts out your quarter panels lose their rigidity and if you have a spare tire carrier, that just moves the quarter panel in and out and screws up your tailgate.
View attachment 172637
WOW best pictures of the cross sill on this whole site. Honestly yours looks pretty good considering. I mean you habe the corners on both of them still😂. And yeah my rear mounts are probably the same way. All rotted out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW best pictures of the cross sill on this whole site. Honestly yours looks pretty good considering. I mean you habe the corners on both of them still😂. And yeah my rear mounts are probably the same way. All rotted out.
Looks are deceiving. What’s in the corners is thin and swiss cheese. Yeah I could probably keep cutting until there’s good metal but with new readily available that will save me some time.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
233 Posts
Looks are deceiving. What’s in the corners is thin and swiss cheese. Yeah I could probably keep cutting until there’s good metal but with new readily available that will save me some time.
yeah you still have some what of a shape left haha. Yea there is a company that makes a new replacement piece but I think theres a list or something. I snatched one up awhile ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts