Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 I6 carbed with 7/8 of emmisions Junk removed (dont ask how it runs it just does)It has a fuel return Fuel pump ...I live in Fla and its hot So i expect a lil bit of pressure but when I remove the cap it releases alot of pressure from the tank ...I had a Locking style on it for a bit but noticed a leak from the tank area Put the (what i thought was the original) back on and leak stopped but pressure is still there..Any advice would be appreciated..

·
Registered
72 Posts
how does it run without the emmissions crap, i am thinking doing this with my 85 if i stay with the 300?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Mods first post...It runs ok in the driveway can cruise around town ...Stinks like Hell without all the other crap on it out the exhaust...I'm just saving up for the 4 bbl upgrade,tires and a lift ..still wondering bout the fuel cap vent deal..AbandonedBronco can tell you how they run without all the crap on it ...

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Clogged vent tube its a small piece of vaccum line along the passenger side of the frame rail check and see if its brittle or clogg and repair as needed.

When I had a 300 I stripped the entire motor of the emission stuff and I had no problems. I even went as far as only utilizing 3 vaccuum lines.. timing advance, line for the shift module on my c6, and brake booster

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Sorry Mods first post...It runs ok in the driveway can cruise around town ...Stinks like Hell without all the other crap on it out the exhaust...I'm just saving up for the 4 bbl upgrade,tires and a lift ..still wondering bout the fuel cap vent deal..AbandonedBronco can tell you how they run without all the crap on it ...
I've got the Clifford Cam needed for the 4bbl performance upgrade. pm me if interested.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Do you still have a line that runs from the tank up to the charcoal canister up front? If not, it's possible that your tank doesn't have a way to vent and it may help to put a venting cap on it. Not sure though since I haven't done it.

Highboy74, the biggest issue you'd face with removing the emissions equipment is that yours is an '85 300. From '84 - '86, the carb and distributor on the 300 were computer controlled. The computer reads all the sensors and sets the mixture on the carb accordingly, and sets the timing on the distributor. If you remove the emissions equipment but don't change out the carb and distributor, your carb is going to run very rich and your distributor won't advance. This'll quickly equal a loss in power and an increase in fuel consumption. Neither are good.

With your year 300, you either want to keep all the emissions equipment in top working order, or completely retrofit the engine with a non-emissions carb and a vacuum operated distributor setup (usually the Duraspark II, which'll also include the ignition module.) The only plus of the computer controlled setup is that when it is in working order, they're known to get some of the best gas mileage around. Problem is, Ford only did it for 3 years, so emissions parts are scarce/expensive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clogged vent tube its a small piece of vaccum line along the passenger side of the frame rail check and see if its brittle or clogg and repair as needed.

When I had a 300 I stripped the entire motor of the emission stuff and I had no problems. I even went as far as only utilizing 3 vaccuum lines.. timing advance, line for the shift module on my c6, and brake booster
All of the evap canisters are gone ...I do still have the 3 solinoids no vac lines on them ..I will check the Small tube on the pass side of the truck for cloggage..

And AB Ty im saving up for the kit minus the Dist there was a good write up about the I6 in True Blue Trucks Issue 3..

Thanks for the replies I am no longer a Noob ..:beer

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small tube on Pass side in engine bay pinched off after PO removed emmisions stuff ...Cut off the pinch and no more pressure in tank and truck starts first time ...

Thanks ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts