Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 EB with the 351 and 4AOD. This truck has 150k miles on it and is stock except Mud Rovers. I am getting terrible mpg, around 8mpg. I don't even drive it hard. I know with the 351w and no mods it should be getting at least 10 so could there be something causing this low mpg. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,957 Posts
How large are your tires? Do you still have your stock gears?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are the 31X10.50R15

the gearing is stock

bronco has towpackage (if that changes gearing)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Mine was '89 with 351/C6 and 3:08 on 31s, I got 10 sometimes 11.
HTH,
Andrew

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could it just need a tune up, or need to be timed?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
Konham said:
could it just need a tune up, or need to be timed?
Sure it could

If those plug wires are very old and the cap, rotor and plugs are beat too, that would knock a pile of mileage out of it.

If you're going to spend a bit of cash do a search here and find out why you should consider only cheap Autolite or plain Motorcraft plugs, aftermarket plug wires and an MSD coil.

Don't forget air filter, fuel filter and think about getting the injectors professionally cleaned if additives make no difference (they should). Low tire pressures alone can scrub mileage off it too.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah im definately gonna do a little tune up, thanks for the advice.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
i have a 93 Eddie Bauer.....same set up...accept i have 31x11.50's.

You have an E4OD. (not an 4AOD) And your gears, if stock are 3.55's, even if you have the towing package (mine has it). The towing package is usually a hitch and a transmission cooler.

The mileage sucked bad when i first bought the truck from the P.O..

First thing i did....change every fluid and filter possible.

Second thing i did, tuned it up.

If I am running on the highway i can squeeze 13-14 MPG out of it, if i stay off the skinny pedal, around town i pull about 10 if i stay off the skinny pedal. Problem is i don't stay off the skinny pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts