Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1991 Bronco which is bone stock and I want to know if there is a way to give it a modest lift without having to replace the stock shocks and suspension parts. (Modest = 1 to 3 inches)?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About the Lift

Hey, thanks for the input. But unfortunately I'm a newbie and know nothing about what I need to buy. Some specifics about what to get and how to install.I do know my way around tools....;)

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've got a 1991 Bronco which is bone stock and I want to know if there is a way to give it a modest lift without having to replace the stock shocks and suspension parts. (Modest = 1 to 3 inches)?
Blocks in back and pucks up front. $100, +2" increase, better looking, more functional and way less half-assed than a body lift.

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
There is nothing half ass about a body lift when done right. If its going to be a street rig blocks are fine for the rear. I would still stay away from the coil spacers for the front though. You also have the option of an add a leaf for the rear that would be better than blocks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if your going to go wheeling or do a lot of dirt driving do not go an put spacers on u will regret the moment u put them on they ruin your suspension, do it the right way spend the money go with a 6 inch fox lift it will give u the clearance and they are a very nice ride body spacers in my opinion is ugly and pointless, just don't do it cheap a 1 inch lift is not going to change the look of your ride a lift like that you will only notice if a pull out a tape measure,

just get a nice suspension lift im sure your shocks and struts at this point are ready to be replaced to begin with,

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is nothing half ass about a body lift when done right. If its going to be a street rig blocks are fine for the rear. I would still stay away from the coil spacers for the front though. You also have the option of an add a leaf for the rear that would be better than blocks.
I'd take coil spacers over a body lift any day. Inch for inch they're better than a body lift until you get into stupid and unsafe sizes, at which point the body lift has the advantage because you can at least drive it to the mall as long as there aren't any speed bumps.

A body lift done right might not technically be half-assed (only because it's done right), but it sure as hell decreases the vehicle's performance. Frame/body flex is amplified (which will be bad for both in the "long, but shorter than you'd think" term). Ground clearance is not gained. You get no additional up-travel. You have to do 10X as much work (brackets, moving the body around) for the less results than you would if you just blocked the suspension. It doesn't even have a cost advantage.

A body lift basically only gets you room for bigger tires at the expense of most other things.

if your going to go wheeling or do a lot of dirt driving do not go an put spacers on u will regret the moment u put them on they ruin your suspension, do it the right way spend the money go with a 6 inch fox lift it will give u the clearance and they are a very nice ride body spacers in my opinion is ugly and pointless, just don't do it cheap a 1 inch lift is not going to change the look of your ride a lift like that you will only notice if a pull out a tape measure,

just get a nice suspension lift im sure your shocks and struts at this point are ready to be replaced to begin with,
You're gonna have to be a bit more clean about "ruin your suspension" because I've done just that and had zero problems. I've had 0, 2 and 4.5 blocks out back and 0 and 2 up front. I've had stock and junkyard coils and re-configured my leaf pack more times than I can count. The only problem I ever had in front was with a nut backing off a shock absorber and the coil bucket turning the stem into a J. Out back I had one U-bolt come loose enough to rattle one time after changing up the leaf pack. Since then I re-torque everything a few times after install so I think that may why I've not had problems so far.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,658 Posts
some really lame opinions being tossed around in here.

I've had a 3" body lift and it was fine. :rolleyes: My rig wasn't a rock crawler, but she wasn't a Mall queen either.
BL will give you the clearance for larger tires. The tires gain you the ground clearance.
It's way more affordable and very easy to do.

A suspension lift is far superior, no doubt... but there's nothing wrong with a properly installed body lift. Personally... I'd rather have a body lift than rear blocks.

Just don't cheap out and leave the bumpers in the same place. It just looks lame as hell and you don't get any approach or departure gain if you don't move them up to match the body.

I never got around to raising the bumpers. That was my only real regret... but I bought it like that and I'm slowly putting together all the parts for a 4" susp. lift for my '90.

Oh yea... the 35's rubbed on full flex with the stabilizers removed. I should have gone with 33's instead but the 35's did work.

Some of the body lift appeal and problems...

Looks good in the mall parking lot. :toothless

front gap:

rear gap:

full flex:

sidewall damage:

fender well damage:

Don't forget to check your local laws for restrictions. Block lifts are illegal in my state. :shrug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts