Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry folks flame me for asking but I have not done any wiring in a while.. My heater fan switch is not working and I ran a jumper wire from battery to the fan itself and it is functioning.. My question is this: If I get a 20amp on / off switch with two contacts and an inline 20 amp fuse line..Which way do I run the wires? Do I run the positive from the battery and put the inline fuse line to one contact on the switch and run the other side of switch to the positive lead on fan and then connect the ground on fan to the truck body?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
one of those cheap 20 amp swiches from any auto parts stores are not going to last very long. you can probably just replace your current switch if thats the problem with a new one for not much cash. but if you want to just hook up a switch. get one with a 50 amp rating. and run the fuse on it as indicated by your fuse panel.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need a quick fix.. not an oem fix...... Apparantly the whole ac/heater control unit has to be replaced as a unit....... But can someone please answer what I asked? how to run a simple switch from off the battery to a switch?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
read it again. I already told you

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you just run it with a switch, make sure you put your inline fuse as close to the battery as possible, and it doesn't matter how you hook it up to your switch.

·
Registered
470 Posts
OH sorry:banghead , yes that will work, postive wire through fuse, switch, and then to fan. This will make the fan only run at one speed. But your diagram is correct.

·
Registered
102 Posts
go read the post called "Heater",....that way my recent experience with my heater. And, I have an 86 with heat and A/C and it's still very componantized.... I replaced my blower for $22, my resistor pack for $17, a fuse for $1 and I was back in action in 20 minutes with a reliable new system. Only part I didn't replace was the speed selector switch which is $14 at Autozone....I would suggest fixxing it right instead of fabricating....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well. my fan works but the selector switch does not...... I dont have money to spend on parts at all at this time and I have toggle and wiring laying around....... just looking to do an emergency fix to get me out to the hunting club and back..... I only drive the Bronc once a week if any.......

·
Registered
102 Posts
but you said you have a 20 amp switch but doesn't it need 30 or more? just saying... if you're gonna end up spending $20 at Radio Shack already you can spend $14 at Autozone...

·
Registered
470 Posts
but you said you have a 20 amp switch but doesn't it need 30 or more? just saying... if you're gonna end up spending $20 at Radio Shack already you can spend $14 at Autozone...
Umm his material is gonna be like 3-4 bucks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fact is: I have in possesion at no cost to me
0ne 20 amp toggle switch
one 20 amp inline fuse
50ft of 14 gauge & 18 gauge wire
box of assorted terminal ends = no cash invested. but will it hold up and not be a fire hazard for a few months?

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah...my concern is the amperage...will you be blowing the fuse every 30 minutes...but I don't know the answer so I'll shut up and let someone who does know reply

1 - 14 of 14 Posts