Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently my truck has been acting up horribly. its kinda hard to explain but basically every time i give it gas it bogs down on my likes its about to die but it never does. and the rpms never get over 1000. it idles a little rough but it really gets bad when im going down the road and trying to accelerate. everytime i hit the gas it freaks out on me... so since this problem started i have replaced the fuel pump, EGR, IAC, and MAP and none of those have completly fixed the problem. they helped a little but the problem is clearly still there. I have done the sixlitre tune up, advanced timing, and replaced fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator so now i am resorting to getting a new computer because it seems like i have replaced everything that i can that would affect this problem.

also i dont know if this helps any but it also has a hard time starting up when cold

thanks alot guys for the help i need my truck running i have to tow a trailer soon!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know it would throw a code if it's out of time...

Have you checked for vac. leaks (hoses, lines, intake, etc.)?
no i havnt but i did drive it today and it runs absolutely horrible when its cold like it wont go over 15mph and every time i gas it it sounds like it wants to shut off but then once it gets warm it will allow me to slowly creep up to speed to allow me to cruise but it i want to punch it it freaks out again and does that same silly stuff when its cold... so im thinkin bout the coil pack but i got to take the distributor off soo maybe ill have time tonight... any other ideas guys????

·
Registered
605 Posts
:beer
no i havnt ... so im thinkin bout the coil pack but i got to take the distributor off soo maybe ill have time tonight...
It doesn't have a coil pack, did you mean the module on the distributor?
If so you don't have to pull the dist. to swap it

Do what you'd like but I'd still check for codes, vac leaks, loose / corroded electrical connections, etc. especially since doing stuff like that is free...
Personally, I like to exhaust all simple probable causes before throwin' more parts at it.

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
that takes care of the fuel pressure, but you still got timing issues, now when you say FREAKS OUT on you what do you mean, we have to know what its really doin before we can get down and dirty with the diagnostics

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
It's real simple... quit throwing parts at it until you pull codes. If you don't get a code 11 for your 1990, you've got a problem the computer knows about, and you can use that to figure out the problem instead of wasting hundreds of dollars on parts.

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
It's real simple... quit throwing parts at it until you pull codes. If you don't get a code 11 for your 1990, you've got a problem the computer knows about, and you can use that to figure out the problem instead of wasting hundreds of dollars on parts.
see bronc is right note the key words in my first post, you really need to pull codes first, if there is a prob that the puter is aware of then it will tell you what circuit is failing, giving you a place to start, otherwise you are just throwing money at a prob that could be quite simple

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
It's probably a midget dragging on the rear driveshaft. There's a little peephole he looks through in the floor, and every time you hit the gas, he clamps down harder on the driveshaft.

:stupid

If you want to throw parts at it until it runs right, you're in the wrong place. Diagnose, test, repair: NOT the other way around.

Also, test the TP sensor.

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
It's probably a midget dragging on the rear driveshaft. There's a little peephole he looks through in the floor, and every time you hit the gas, he clamps down harder on the driveshaft.

:stupid

If you want to throw parts at it until it runs right, you're in the wrong place. Diagnose, test, repair: NOT the other way around.

Also, test the TP sensor.
:rofl::rofl:its the gremlins with there evil ways

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that takes care of the fuel pressure, but you still got timing issues, now when you say FREAKS OUT on you what do you mean, we have to know what its really doin before we can get down and dirty with the diagnostics
well it wont let me go over 15mph which i think i already said and every time i accelerate the engine bogs down very quickly and almost shuts off and it idles ruff does that help any?

what do yall think about the o2 sensor? i am trying to find my code scanner i seemed to have missed place it

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.