Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to search the forums for some of this information but I can’t seem to find the answers to the questions that I have.

I have a 92 EB that I am rebuilding slowly as I am learning as I go having never had any experience before.

My ultimate goal from my Bronco is for an exploration vehicle that I can take to those out of the way places then camp out. I don’t have any plans to do any rock crawling or any serious mudding or bogging, just a nice little exploration vehicle. I found a few trail rating guidelines online and I think I really only want to go as high as a 3.5 or 8 depending on the guidelines.

According to those guidelines a 3.5 is:
3.5 Rated Trails
Hard Trail. Loose gravel, large pot holes, steep inclines, medium sized rocks, 4 wheel drive required, aggressive tread and lowered tire pressure helpful.. Some rocky sections, go arounds at major obstacles. Body damage possible, mainly rocker panel or rear quarter panel.

Small (0-2500lb)
Upgraded bumpers
(Useable as a hi-lift point)
Nerf bars
Skid plates
31"
Rear locker

Medium (2500-4500lb)
Upgraded bumpers
Nerf bars
Skid plates
Hi-Lift
32" Tires
Rear locker

Large (4500+ lb)
Upgraded bumpers
Skid plates
Rear locker

Or according to the Jeep Rating an 8 is:
Rating: 8 Challenging
Heavy rock and/or severe ruts. Rocks exceeding hub height frequent. Shelves to 18". Deep mud or soft sand with uphill sections. Steep grades to 45 degrees and can be loose or rocky. Water crossings may exceed 30" in depth. Side hill to 30 degrees. Very narrow sections may be impassible to all but narrow, short-wheel-base 4wd’s. Body damage possible. Experience needed. Vehicle modifications recommended.

So, my question is what type of axle and locker is needed for something like that?

Also what is the difference with the types of axles? Ford 8.8/Ford 9 Inch, Dana 44, Dana 60 ..
What do those numbers mean and what is best suited for our Broncos for my purposes?
Tires? The guides recommend 32” + for the trails.
Also I know Rack and Pinion angle has something to do with the axles and gear ratio helps with bigger tires and gas mileage…
Can someone help explain those things to me?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would start with joining a 4x4 club in your area. Maybe take her out for a little off roading first to see where you are at and go from there. Offroad bumpers help because they are made to increase your ground clearance in the front and back and help protect more from rubbing against obsticals.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would like to do the same kind of trails and was planning my build. I am going to go with new bumpers. I really liked the ones with the rear tire swing out and the gas can holders. A 4" lift on 33" tires (maybe 35" if I think it needs it after the lift). A locker in the rear would be Awsome but kind of pricy. Maybe a winch on the front bumper for getting free from tough spots

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I would start with joining a 4x4 club in your area. Maybe take her out for a little off roading first to see where you are at and go from there.
this, join up with some local fsb members or a local club if you can find one, and find out what your rig is capable of as it is now, and then build off what needs to be improved

only larger tires increase ground clearance, aftermarket bumpers are just going to increase body clearance, same with any lift, which in reality before you go off road, you could simply remove the bumbers and put them on quick release to make it easy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the response.

My bronco at the moment isn't operational. I have some rust that is much more serious that i thought when I bought the BKO. So currently I am working to remove the body and get it media blasted before I fix the rust and paint it.

I will be putting some off-road bumpers front and rear, sliders, skid plates, 6" suspension lift, winch, and some bigger tires. I will be putting a locker up front and I have been thinking about some sort of limited slip in the back. I think my transmission e4od and transfer case BW1306 is fine. I know I need a new steering box as mine is leaking and I might as well upgrade while I am at it. Someone suggested a "redwagon" or something I will have to look up again. It's when I get to the bigger tire question that I run into issues trying to figure out what I should do. The problem I have is ignorance. I just don't know anything about axles.

Here is what I know.
In order not to break your stuff when you get bigger tires and a lift you should also upgrade your axles. Well, I know nothing of axles, I have searched on the boards here and found people going to a Dana 60 or bigger. When I was researching the parts like differentials and lockers I came across what seems to be the 4 most popular axle upgrades.

Ford 8.8
Ford 9
Dana 44
Dana 60

But I have no idea what they mean. I think the 8.8 and 9 are the diameter size in inches, but I don't know what the 44 or 60 mean. I also don't know how to pick what's best for me, what are each ones strengths and weaknesses?

What is pinion angle?
What does changing the gear ratio do and where is that changed at? The Tcase?

I know this is probably very simple questions for you guys, but for me I am a noob.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
For you to do 3.5/8 rated trails (according to the guidelines you quoted) you can get by with 33's, some sort of lunch box locker in the rear and no lift. You will not need to upgrade your axles if you drive somewhat cautiously (i.e. - easy on the throttle!). My suggestion is in line with what other have said, just start wheeling it to get driving experience. You will soon know what you need or want to upgrade!

Before you do axles, gears, serious lockers (like detroit or ARB) and a lift I would recommend getting a winch - 9-12K. That will get you out of any trouble you might get yourself into! lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Without any lift you can clear 31" tires without rubbing, some 32" will not rub depends on how aggressive the tread pattern is. 33's will rub bad without any lift, most reccomend 4" lift with 33's and 6" lift with 35's.

I personally believe a winch will get you out of way more bad situations than a high-lift jack, unless you like body damage your going to need stouter bumpers which is $$$. You can buy a top of the line Warn and make a "homemade" winch bumper out of your stock one for what just a front aftermarket bumper cost.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
get some good bumpers, a winch some other recovery gear. find some trails to wheel and get use to the vehicle. learn what it can do and what you can do. when you think your at its limit then do the next step, lift or tires or gears. build it your way.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My bronco at the moment isn't operational. I have some rust that is much more serious that i thought when I bought the BKO. So currently I am working to remove the body and get it media blasted before I fix the rust and paint it.

I will be putting some off-road bumpers front and rear, sliders, skid plates, 6" suspension lift, winch, and some bigger tires. I will be putting a locker up front and I have been thinking about some sort of limited slip in the back. I think my transmission e4od and transfer case BW1306 is fine. I know I need a new steering box as mine is leaking and I might as well upgrade while I am at it. Someone suggested a "redwagon" or something I will have to look up again. It's when I get to the bigger tire question that I run into issues trying to figure out what I should do. The problem I have is ignorance. I just don't know anything about axles.

Here is what I know.
In order not to break your stuff when you get bigger tires and a lift you should also upgrade your axles. Well, I know nothing of axles, I have searched on the boards here and found people going to a Dana 60 or bigger. When I was researching the parts like differentials and lockers I came across what seems to be the 4 most popular axle upgrades.

Ford 8.8
Ford 9
Dana 44
Dana 60

But I have no idea what they mean. I think the 8.8 and 9 are the diameter size in inches, but I don't know what the 44 or 60 mean. I also don't know how to pick what's best for me, what are each ones strengths and weaknesses?

What is pinion angle?

I know this is probably very simple questions for you guys, but for me I am a noob.
I can answer part of this, I myself am not too sure on all of it but here goes...
you're right, 8.8 and 9 inch are the diameter measurements of your ring gear inside your differentials. To change the gear ratio, it can be done at your differentials by changing your ring and pinion. The amount of "teeth" on your gears is what affects your ratio. More teeth usually gives you more torque. Imagine a machine screw for example...a fine thread machine screw can be torqued tighter (higher) than a coarse thread screw and the the same principle applies here...more teeth=more torque to the wheels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe your axles are good up to 35" tires. As to gearing, I saw that on 4wheel parts online they had a gearing calculator based on tires size. Higher the ratio the lower the gearing. 4.11 means that for every one turn the axle does the driveshaft turns 4.11 times.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Here is what I know.

Ford 8.8
Ford 9
Dana 44
Dana 60

What is pinion angle?

Pinion angle is basically the angle at which your driveshaft meets your axle. The higher you lift your truck the sharper the pinion angle is as your output of your transfer case is getting higher and that causes issues with requiring custom driveshafts to be made. For the most part bronco's dont have an issue with this, I've heard some requiring new rear driveshaft made for 6" of lift but most do not. This is much more of an issue with Jeeps or if you have ALOT of lift.

The steering box you were asking about is called a "redhead". Its pronounced red paint sets it apart from others. This is a vendor review for them, very good made in the USA company.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195165

1 - 11 of 11 Posts