Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think my bronco hates me personally lol. ok seriously this is the best way i can even discribe whats happening.so i went out got into my bronco it wouldnt start went thru the whole nine yards checked spark checked fuel and fuel pressure fuses ect ect...... got my can of starting fluid sprayed the tb and poof it starts and runs perfectly fine,,,,,,,turn it off let it sit for a few hrs came back out and it fires right up no problems at all,,,,,figured some how it just lost pressure in the fuel system due to it bein low on gas????? took it filled the tank and didnt have anymore issues. the other day weeks later im driving it down the road its drivin great and then suddenly it starts shuddering really hard and sounds like im running open headers no power just barely moves and making a blam blam blam sound rapidly with the shuddering so i pull over turn it off and inspected everything seen nothing visually and didnt smell nothing either checked oil trans fluids perfectly fine inspected fan belts and everything else even spark plug wires the whole nine yards again and everythings great, restart it and its fine again ,,,,,im seriously like WTF! so i drive it home and park it,,, ask friends if they knew yet no one knows,,,,so today i get into it at my gfs house to drive home and it wont start again luckly i happen to have starting fluid and spray it and it fires right up and runs like the biggest pile ive ever seen shuddering and everything again like its gonna blow up,,,,, so i get pissed off and force it to drive me home even tho it has zero power,,,,then i look down and see the over drive switch is on i go to turn it off and it wont turn off so about a half mile down the road of forcing it to drive at 25 mph pegged to the floor the check engine light majically shuts off and it runs perfectly fine no problems and my over drive allos me to turn it off and when i punched the peddle to the floor my truck now has full power and starts to spin the tires like nothing was ever wrong. does anyone know wtf is going on with my truck cause i have replaced everything from shift mods to tps to egr u name it and its killin me. i love this truck but this problems makin me wanna shoot it PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS! :doh0715::whiteflag

·
Registered
364 Posts
+1 on the fuel pump. It probably is shitting itself, and you can pull codes to confirm this. Go to Pep Boys or Auto Zone or whatever your preferred auto parts store is and get a code reader. Some are a little more expensive, some are less expensive. If your Bronco is a 1995 or earlier, then you need an EBD I reader, if it is a 1996, then you need an EBD II reader. Mine was 35 bucks at Wal-Mart. This will save your ass so many times in the future, trust me. Keep the starter fluid with you at all times for now in case you get caught in a real jam (at your gf's house...). First rule or troubleshooting your Bronco is PULL CODES! Then post em up and we can better help you, just remember this in the future.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,500 Posts
Couldn't hurt to have your TFI checked out as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
TFI, or Thick Film Ignition module, is also not a bad suggestion. That could explain the coughing and sputtering that you are getting in that bad boy...

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i forgot to post the part that i have checked it for codes no codes are present i did a full code pull with it running and not even tried doin and erase to see if that might catch something not showing. i was kinda leaning towards the fuel pump too myself but,,,,,, why wouldnt the od shut off when pressed and then suddenly it pulls outta the weird stuff and runs perfect and the the od allows me to shut if off?? that wouldnt be a fuel issue or would it??? fords gotta love em but its a hate love relationship at its best i swear lol. i never checked the tfi but now that i know of it ill definetly check it,,,,were is the tfi located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok ill hook it up to the code reader tomorrow and see what come up. Ill be sure to poste the results asap of what codes come up. Thank you all for helping so far!:beer

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
These trucks are fairly particular about their fuel pressure. Without enough they run like garbage. If the pump in intermittent then it will cause the fuel pressure to do strange things. As far as the OD off button and some of the other things, I had a PCM die in my old 91 and the thing acted like that. No power, wouldn't shift, ran horribly. The PCM had died and was in limp home mode.

·
Registered
364 Posts
These trucks are fairly particular about their fuel pressure. Without enough they run like garbage. If the pump in intermittent then it will cause the fuel pressure to do strange things. As far as the OD off button and some of the other things, I had a PCM die in my old 91 and the thing acted like that. No power, wouldn't shift, ran horribly. The PCM had died and was in limp home mode.
Definitely. I've never been that unlucky as to have a dead PCM, though. The smallest difference in fuel pressure can make things turn really bad, really quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts