Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, this isn't the biggest thing going on, but the LED market can be rather random quality-wise.

I bought a pair of these in late 2020, and finally got around to installing them:

The replacement took all of 2 or 3 minutes, including reading the directions. The unit replaces the bulb and "cap", but doesn't require any splicing. It maintains the existing bulb "socket" part in my '96. It fits well into the parts where it should fit, doesn't jiggle or feel lose.

The instructions are even decently written!

They are bright as heck. If I have one complaint, they are perhaps a bit "rude" to anyone just off my rear bumper who looks right at the light... but I don't think that's too many people.

Both my plate bulbs were out, so i figure it's time to knock something off my to-do list.

(What? No photo?)
It looks just like a license plate, but with a bright light shining on it. :)

For the record, I have no relationship with "Vip Motoz", other than being a happy customer.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,719 Posts
come on man, we need some pics..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it gets dark I'll grab another one, but they look very "OEM":

and even in the light of day they hurt to stare at. if I had to estimate, by comparison to my tacti-cool flashlight collection, they are somewhere around 60 Lumen each.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ad says 1130 lumens. That's a low grade headlight!
I didn't read the ad that carefully... but that seems... optimistic. it's bright, but it's not two-headlights bright.

My EDC flashlight is 300 Lumen, and that is WAY more painful to look at.

Tonight I'll take a comparison photo or two.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A lot depends on the focus of the light. The LED light scatters right off the bat, as opposed to a flashlight or headlight.
They do look good! I just put little LED bulbs in my licence plate light sockets. Bright enough (more than the stockers).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got my 2012 Kia Soul... sorry, my Kia Soul!... for comparison. Apparently I'm a plate-light down on that car as well, but the damn thing's almost got 200K miles on it, so I guess some maintenance is expected.

I was going to do all manner of testing and documentation, but yeah, these are really damn bright.

and, to someone behind me in the next lane, quite glaring

I think I may mask some of the lens with a bit of spray paint just to make the lights more polite... maybe even turn one of the lights off and just use one.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
One reason to just put an led bulb in the stock housing. Brighter without offending anyone. I do like those though!
Makes it real easy for the cops to read your plate!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
given how much trouble my camera had,I'm thinking this might be the mfg's attempt to defeat red-light and speed-limit cameras.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking on Amazon, a 10-pack of LED bulbs, with delivery by dinner-time today, are actually slightly cheaper than the parts I installed here... let's experiment a bit. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My EDC flashlight is 300 Lumen, and that is WAY more painful to look at.
Lol, I like how you can determine how many lumes it has by how much it hurts to look at it. Just like those people who stretch their arms to measure something and walk across the room to see if it'll fit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, I like how you can determine how many lumes it has by how much it hurts to look at it. Just like those people who stretch their arms to measure something and walk across the room to see if it'll fit.
The first joint of my thumb is just shy of an inch, my stride is just over a yard, and my reach, fingertip to fingertip is 6'2".

Your eyes detect light. I'm not claiming I'm some kind of calibrated sensor array, but let's not pretend technology is the only way to solve a problem.

(For the record, I'll usually just count floor or ceiling tiles if I'm looking to measure something at a room-scale)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The first joint of my thumb is just shy of an inch, my stride is just over a yard, and my reach, fingertip to fingertip is 6'2".

Your eyes detect light. I'm not claiming I'm some kind of calibrated sensor array, but let's not pretend technology is the only way to solve a problem.

(For the record, I'll usually just count floor or ceiling tiles if I'm looking to measure something at a room-scale)
Sorry brother, I didn't mean to upset you. I simply thought it was a funny way to determine what light has more lumens. Didnt mean ti come off as rude. I recently added LEDs to my lic plate too. They look just as nice as yours, except for the lamp housings. Judging by the pain in my eyes when I stare at them, I'd say they're about 650 lumens.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the end, I decided not to be rude to everyone around me. Amazon got a 10-pack of LED bulbs to me same-day for less than $15, and I put them in. Brighter, but not obnoxious. They also fit the plate lights in my Kia, and the little courtesy lights in the Bronco doors... although i broke one of those bulbs trying to pull it out... so I've got that going for me.

It's odd how small the new bulbs are, though. As you can see here, they are only 22.1mm long!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As of today, all the non-instrument-panel interior lights in my bronco (and my Kia) are LED.

Within the bronco, the "courtesy" lights in the door, the light in the glove box, and the cargo-area dome light are all the type shown above, the same type I'm using in my license plate bulbs. The passenger-area dome light is a 211-2 LED bulb, and the two "map" lights are 211-2 LED lights in the color red... so they can be used without blinding the driver.

I think I've come up with an interesting idea of what to do with the obnoxiously bright license plate bulbs... or at least one of them.

Even with an LED bulb in the cargo-dome light, it's not really bright enough. However, the lights are designed to plug into the same socket as in that fixture.

It took some work, some cutting, some prying, but I managed to get the license plate bulb apart (a lot of it was simply glued together)

Note how the LED fixture itself is soldered together in two pieces. I should be able to de-solder and re-solder those two joints to make a more or less flat disk, and do the same with the two power cables to lengthen them... or even splice the two units together to take power from one socket.

My plan is to flatten the lights into two disks, and then find a way to fit them into the cargo-area dome light fixture. I figure a bit of silicon adhesive should do the trick to hold them in place.

I'll test with one light, first... but the cargo area is pretty dang big.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Don't care much about your thread (just being honest), but it's rare to see a post that is so upbeat in the title, Good job, LOL!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts