Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
one thing after reading all these posts , that seesm ot be over looked , and it may or may not be the problem , but its wrht a look, how about the body mounts them selves ? if one side or corner to conrer is wore out worse then the others would it cause this type of vibration ( more then likely not , woit hte whole speed issue ) but its worth a look see.
my vibration which occured on lettting off the accelerator was a loose rear axle front pinion nut , first tiem i jsut tightened it , and then after a board memeebr suggested i replace it , i do so also and havent had any problems , and with my new seats in my bronc actually almost feels new .

airrikk17

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I just got back from working on the truck. I jacked up the rear end and chalked the front tires and then put it in 4th gear and watched the wheels spin. It was quite obvious that the drivers side wheel was wobbling back and fourth and up and down. Then I looked at the passenger wheel and it was doing it, but just a tiny bit. The drivers side wheel was all over the place.

Then I took off the rear wheels and started the truck again and watched the bare axles spin. The drivers axle was wobbing all over the place. The passenger side was fine (I think it might be wobbling just a little but not a whole lot.)

So I think I found the problem, it's a bent axle shaft. I need to hunt down a couple new (to me) ones from the junk yard because new are way too much ($255) from bronco graveyard. Anyway, I will still update once I get them installed, but I am pretty certian this will fix my problem.....

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. This was one of the best and most helpful threads I have viewed here.

·
Forward Some Money
5,026 Posts
JustinC said:
I just got back from working on the truck. I jacked up the rear end and chalked the front tires and then put it in 4th gear and watched the wheels spin. It was quite obvious that the drivers side wheel was wobbling back and fourth and up and down. Then I looked at the passenger wheel and it was doing it, but just a tiny bit. The drivers side wheel was all over the place.

Then I took off the rear wheels and started the truck again and watched the bare axles spin. The drivers axle was wobbing all over the place. The passenger side was fine (I think it might be wobbling just a little but not a whole lot.)

So I think I found the problem, it's a bent axle shaft. I need to hunt down a couple new (to me) ones from the junk yard because new are way too much ($255) from bronco graveyard. Anyway, I will still update once I get them installed, but I am pretty certian this will fix my problem.....

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. This was one of the best and most helpful threads I have viewed here.
GOOD NEWS!! Congratulations and good work!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Justin,

I would want to run a few more tests:

1) is the vibration speed related? does it seem to get faster as you go faster?
2) does it vibrate under load?.....coast?......deacceleration?
3) If you do 60-70 where it's the worst....what does it do if you kick it out of gear?
4) do you inspect the pinion bearing for wobble?

I chased mine down forever, still isnt fixed but I believe it's in the ring/pinion.
I think it could be the carrier bearings. Sometimes they don't make noise but they do rumble. Check them out.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Please let us know what it does with the new axle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
JustinC: I have the same EXACT problem as you! AND I have done all the same diagnosis as you have.
I had a mechanic replace the oil pan gasket back when I got the truck. This is a MoFo of a job requiring the engine be jacked up 6+ inches
Its entirely possible he ripped an engine or trans mount.
Aside from that, I guess I'm going to re-balance and I'm going to put a runout gage on the rims

PLS SHARE YOUR FINDINGS AND I WILL DO SAME

41 - 52 of 52 Posts