Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I posted a comment about a vibration in my 1992 eddie bauer bronco. The truck has a 6inch tough country lift, I had the driveshaft worked on and all the joints replaced. Vibration was reduced, but it is still vibrating. Anyone have any insight of what the problem could be? I think the rear drive shaft angle might be too steep so I wan't to change the rear lift blocks (in between the leaf springs and axle) is this a good idea? If so anyone know where I can get some different blocks? Please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
put a shim under the perches, changes the angle slightly, I had to do that when I put on a 6" lift with rear springs....no probs yet...

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I've run up to 7" of suspension lift on mine and the driveshaft is no where near binding. Make sure the pinion points about 2 - 3 degrees below the driveshaft at rest. They will line up during cruise conditions which will help any vibration. It's a common mistake to point the pinion at the tcase at rest, this results in too high of a pinion angle while driving.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
GHOSTRIDER said:
put a shim under the perches, changes the angle slightly, I had to do that when I put on a 6" lift with rear springs....no probs yet...
Yes, a shim will help with the vibration if you are in fact over 2* out of alignment. But if you install a shim you have to make some modifications to avoid losing your rear end while doing some serious articulation. Notice the factory block with the pin.

Here is what is left of that pin after the shim is installed.

You can see there is hardly any of the pin left to ancor your rea end. I did a write up about how to remedy this situation here, maybe it will help

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Instead of just putting shims in there check the angle to get it perfect.

Get an angle meter like this

or if you are cheap (or resourceful) you can do this

Measure the angle of the driveshaft tube, and then the angle of the pinion (you can measure that by putting the angle finder on the coverplate surface or the bolt heads if the bolts are the same, just remember its going to ba a 90* difference) and adjust the pinion so the pinion is 1 to 1.5 degreese below the driveshaft.

If you measure the drivesgaft at 16*, and the pinion at 12* a 2* shim will get it to the right spot. Its 4* off, but as you raise the pinion the driveshaft will also raise up decreasing the angle. So 2* higher on the pinion will also move the driveshaft up about 1/2 degree which will leave you with the perfect 1.5* below a straight line.

Make any sence?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.