Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the sudden while driving today it sounded like i got an exhaust leak somewhere that just randomly started, will be going to tighten down the bolts once the exhaust pipes cool down

my main concern is at the same time the sound started i also started getting a vibration in the gas pedal that coresponded to the sound

if youve had an exhaust leak, you know it makes a sort of popping sound for lack of better term, with each pop there is a rather noticeable tap on the gas pedal so to put

pulled codes and 111 all around

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Don't know nuthin'bout your problem but one of the tricks
I've read over-an'over is to do exhaust manifold bolts hot!

Butthead in AZ

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know nuthin'bout your problem but one of the tricks
I've read over-an'over is to do exhaust manifold bolts hot!

Butthead in AZ
dont have a long enough extension to do it while its hot without burning the crap out of my hands

·
Registered
251 Posts
well if u think the manifolds/headers have come loose u need to replace the gasket cause im sure its wasted. it probablly blew out all the gasket material around the ports. depending on how bad the leak is, id check to see maybe if the exhaust gas is some how affecting the throttle cable, like the exhaust gas is coming out and hittting the cable. its a wild guess but id say fix ur exhaust leak and see if it returns, it could also be running poor on that side do to the lack of back pressure on that side vs the other side. I had a VW that did this to found out it dropped a cylinder/ intermitent fireing due to a bad coil. Start with what u know is wrong and see if that fixes ur other problem.

·
2,857 Posts
dont have a long enough extension to do it while
its hot without burning the crap out of my hands
Don't be telling me about it, ...just get one! LOL :)
(and wear gloves too, if you're big sissy;)

You ain't got a friend that'll loan you an extension?

You'll be belly achin' about broken manifold bolts
and fragile easy-outs next, after doing 'em cold? ;)

Don't know much about these newer Ford Engines
but the old FE engines didn't use exhaust manifold
gaskets.

Alvin in AZ

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if u think the manifolds/headers have come loose u need to replace the gasket cause im sure its wasted. it probablly blew out all the gasket material around the ports. depending on how bad the leak is, id check to see maybe if the exhaust gas is some how affecting the throttle cable, like the exhaust gas is coming out and hittting the cable. its a wild guess but id say fix ur exhaust leak and see if it returns, it could also be running poor on that side do to the lack of back pressure on that side vs the other side. I had a VW that did this to found out it dropped a cylinder/ intermitent fireing due to a bad coil. Start with what u know is wrong and see if that fixes ur other problem.
thing is though, i havent lost power, i'll be retorquing all the bolts tomorrow just to double check

Don't be telling me about it, ...just get one! LOL :)
(and wear gloves too, if you're big sissy;)

You ain't got a friend that'll loan you an extension?

You'll be belly achin' about broken manifold bolts
and fragile easy-outs next, after doing 'em cold? ;)

Don't know much about these newer Ford Engines
but the old FE engines didn't use exhaust manifold
gaskets.

Alvin in AZ
Got headers on mine so i've got gaskets

and in terms of gloves, got none, tools are limited to, (just moved so not everything is with me is my major problem, gonna go on a supply run tomorrow), plus i got a blow torch to heat the bolts up

·
2,857 Posts
(just moved so not everything is with me is my major problem...)
{that's actually good to hear, better than "never had any" huh? ;}
plus i got a blow torch to heat the bolts up
I believe that'll do just the opposite of what you want.
But since you got headers the bolts aren't going to be
stuck anyway, 'cause they got anti-seize on 'em! :)

Alvin in AZ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts