Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where on the frame my vin number can be found on my "96 XLT"? I have found the easy ones but DMV wants to look at the one on the frame under all of the rust, so I need to find it and clean it so they can see it.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah But!

Your reply does nothing to help.

Obviously you don't require a registration to drive your vehicle, but I do. If you like to go around bumping heads with authority, you go ahead. Maybe your head can take it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I never looked myself but, when the DMV did my inspection here for a Mustang I had they checked the frame near the front drivers side (and found one). I suppose that'd be a place to start.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Steve's reply may have made him sound confrontational, but he has a point: It's DMV's job to find the damn VIN, not yours. THEY are the experts, who I would assume check VINs on a daily basis - so why don't they know where it is? Or at least have a good enough idea to give you a starting point?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Why would DMV expect YOU to know where your VIN is? As far as they're concerned, you only know where to put the gas. Let them find the VIN, if they just HAVE to have it. Where do you live, for DMV to require seeing the VIN on the frame?

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
840 Posts
from what I know it is along the upperside of the frame by the drivers side door you will actually have to get a mirror and get up under there with a good light to find it.

·
Super Moderator
25,802 Posts
1, Steve is A #1!
2, Steve is again, correct-o-mongo!

3, FYI, specifically for Nevada DMV (yes, I did some research);
Nevada DMV VEHICLE INSPECTION CERTIFICATE RD15 (Rev 1/05)
"...VEHICLE INSPECTION CERTIFICATE
FOR VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER VERIFICATION
(To be completed by an Authorized Nevada DMV Representative or any Law Enforcement Officer)"
"I certify that I have examined the following vehicle:
Year Make Model Body Type
Federal Certification Safety Label and Emissions Label (LSVs only) �� Yes �� No
Vehicle Identification Number
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _..."

Suggest calling a DMV Supervisor & getting an appointment with them again to resolve this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
traviscl said:
Your reply does nothing to help.

Obviously you don't require a registration to drive your vehicle, but I do. If you like to go around bumping heads with authority, you go ahead. Maybe your head can take it.
Yeah, Steve, why don't you try helping somebody once in a while?:histerica

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Dallasbronco said:
Yeah, Steve, why don't you try helping somebody once in a while?:histerica
No doubt, you'd think the guy might post some helpful tech once in awhile...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah Yeah Yeah

DMV can't find the number on the frame. I think they may be jerking me ariound but fighting city hall is a looser. I am tired of waiting to drive my truck.

I'll try the drivers side upper frame by the door. Best advice so far.

You would probably have to be there to actually see the video.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The VIN should be there somewhere. They SHOULD know where, as stated they do this regularly. In Florida if you transfer a title/registration from out of state for whatever reason, they check the frame, dash, and door plate. Thats why they wanted to see my Mustang, it had previously been registered in Washington state. And they found it within a minute of crawling under there.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help

I don't mean to seem ungrateful but. There is a lot of rust and dirt. It is a salvage (rebuilt) vehicle which I purchased cheap on ebay, which makes it a special circumstance in this state and if DMV can't find the secondary vin, they do not have to title/register the vehicle. The vehicle has to be trailered because DMV supervisors and other staff will not allow a temp drive permit. Time is money. In this case some of my money. Again if anyone knows for sure where the frame vin is located for the 96 Bronco, I would greatly appreciate this particular information.

Although meant well, I don't think the other advice is doing anything positive in this circumstance.

Leaving for a work vacation, I'll be back in a week.

·
Super Moderator
25,802 Posts
you're welcome! .. glad to help! ... wish I knew you had spoken to a Supervisor already, it is a salvage, maybe bought out-of-state?, etc... could have saved my time as well as Steve's, Chevy Stomper, etc.
Hope this info below is positive!
ok, I had trouble getting down to snap these pics due to a dislocated hip & knee damage (again, 4th op since Nav Hospital in 71); ... took a lot of effort by my wife to help get me out and get down on the ground, so a nice thanks to her would be appreciated...

these are on my 96 Bronco XL, driver's side- (btw, no rust even though we are in sea-side area, did beach runs for surf fishing, and roads are salted during snow)...

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
no dice on those pics miesk5.

·
Super Moderator
25,802 Posts
darn!...thanks J...hope I can retrieve em...jsut del the images from the diggie cam

·
Banned
19,922 Posts
"Sorry, the page you requested was not found." :cry

Ya know, there's ONE person on FSB who could answer this definitively. Lemme do a little searching...

FOUNT IT! Read this thread.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Did you tell them to look for it?And if so did they really look for it? Or did they go out there, kneel down and after ten seconds give up?

Do what these other guys have said, shrug and say that you don't anything about cars and that they will need to find the VIN for you. If a few thousand dedicated Ford enthusiasts can't tell you where it is than what the heck do they want from you? Blood?

When all else fails call your local Ford dealership, or the Ford support hotline. If Ford does not know where the VIN is then have the DMV call Ford and let those two work it out.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy Days!

I found the number. I gave it one last try before packing to go our of town.
I don't think it is illegal to tell where it is, just for those who may journey down the same path.

It was found on the passenger side, on top of the frame rail aft of the transaxle cross-member. There is also a frame part number on the outside side of the frame rail just below.

The VIN is only the last five digits and is dot matrix punched. The numbers on the side are not dot matrix. It was very hard to read. I had to remove a heat shield abive the frame to get a really good look with a mirror and bright light. Luckily there was no rust in this location.

The really good news is the numbers match, but then I knew they would.

I'll let you-all know how DMV works out after my return next week.:twotu:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts