Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
I've seen evidence that there were VIN numbers stamped onto the 1992-96 frames.
Its on top of the right frame rail below the passenger seat, can't be seen with the body on.
Not sure if they started doing it any earlier, or put the VIN on other spots.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've seen evidence that there were VIN numbers stamped onto the 1992-96 frames.
Its on top of the right frame rail below the passenger seat, can't be seen with the body on.
Not sure if they started doing it any earlier, or put the VIN on other spots.
Yep I took that pic its my dads 93 f150. But its under the firewall, not the seat. I think someone said they found it on older ones which is what made me go look, but I dont have an older one to look at.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
under the body seems like an odd place since its not accessible.
Maybe that was the point, to prevent fraud :duh
There was a time (before computers) people would turn in a bunch of VIN’s to vehicle they never touched to get a check from Ford Motor Company for a recall. Plus insurance fraud, and used car lot fraud (stolen cars & flood damaged cars). All kinds of fraud are possible, so you should be careful where you get the new body, and have some legitimate paperwork for it.

:popc1:

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
All cars have VINs labeled (supposedly in 'secret' places known only to LEOs) on frames or in inaccessible locations when built. And yes, it's to prevent any fraudulent VIN use.

·
Super Moderator
25,018 Posts
yo,
Since all the chop shops, legit body/repair shops and the crooked car dealers (lemme say this about RIK, he was sentenced to prison and allegedly still does the odomoter and vin swaps) know where they are;

VIN Location in 78-79; "...and if that has disappeared..take the cab off and look on the top of the frame a little further to the back brush to it..."
Source: by MIL1ION (Dennis) at 7879blueovalbronco.com
VIN Location in 78-79; "...Sometimes you can find a metal tag on the firewall, close to the master cylinder.... But all of them have it on the passenger side frame rail just behind the coil spring tower..... might need to take a wire brush to it...And like Dennis says, there are more on back on the frame...
Source: by Johnny (Bronco Killer) at 7879blueovalbronco.com
VIN Location in 78-79; "Passenger side upper frame rail by the firewall.."
Source: by Ranger429 (Trailer Special) at 7879blueovalbronco.com
VIN Location pic, Frame in 78-79
Source: by InfoFord via Russina78 at broncotech.com
VIN Location pic, Frame in 78-79; (passenger side frame rail near the front body mount by chebbykiller (Big Black, The Bronco)
Source: by Ranger429 (Trailer Special) at FSB
VIN Location pic, Frame in 78-79; passenger side frame rail near the front body mount
Source: by Ranger429 (Trailer Special) at ncspecialties.com
VIN Location, Frame in 78-79; "...passenger side frame rail near the front body mount..."
Source: by chebbykiller (Big Black, The Bronco) at FSB
VIN Location; "...On the door frame/door post of the front doors (usually driver's but sometimes passenger's); On the dash near the windshield; On the engine itself (machined pad on front of engine); On the car's firewall - In the left-hand inner Wheel arch; On the steering wheel/steering column; On the radiator support bracket.."
Source: by Joe'Bronco at FSB

&
VIN Locations, general & Facts
Source: by Kerry W at kerrywilson.com
The locations of vehicle identification numbers (VIN) vary but the following are the common places to find them:
Firewall of the vehicle
Radiator Support Bracket
Dash by windshield
Left hand inner wheel arch
Steering column
Guarantee & Maintenance Book
Machined Pad on front of engine
Drivers door or post on passenger side
Component parts as listed above -e.g.- engine, frame, etc.
Later model years most common locations of the VIN:

Left instrumentation panel
Dash plate by window
Drivers door or post
Firewall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts