Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I owned a Bronco 2 and loved it so much I had to have the full size Bronco. Years went buy and I finally had some money so a lookin I went. I found my dream Bronco, Fully customized just the way I would want it. 89 Frame, 92 body, lifted, stereo system cherry. Not knowing about vin numbers and the hell you go through getting it registered in California, I started the process and found out that my frame has the last 8 digits of a vin number that doesnt match the title. I contacted the guy that orginally built the Bronco not the guy i bought it from and found out that he bought the chassis and engine from a guy at a swap meet and used the title off of one of the parts Bronco he used to build my bronco. He said the guy didnt have a title and he thought since it was a full resto with a total of 4 used broncos that it wouldnt be a problem. Here in CA the frame has to match the title. So how do I track down the guy that has the title to the frame with only the last 8 digits of the vin? Or are there any other options besides taking it back to the guy a bought it from.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
I think you made a big mistake in buying it.Hopefully someone here will have some good news for ya

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Oh boy has this been a nightmare! Took it to the CHP for vin verfication and the numbers didnt match the title, I knew they didn't match but I felt going through the proper channels would cause me less harm. The officer was supper nice through this whole ordeal. He looked up the number he found on the frame and surprise surprise it was STOLEN. The good part was it was only the frame that was stolen. He was real cool about it and contacted the insurance company that owned the stolen Bronco. He never impounded the Bronco and let me drive off with it. Working with the insurance company was pretty easy just time consuming with phone calls and paper work. The insurance company had me take it to a local auto shop to get it on a lift so they could verify that only the frame was stolen. After numerous phone calls and sleepless nights I got a phone call last week and they wanted 300.00 for the frame and title to it. I got out the check book sent it out and soon my title will arrive in the mail and I will finally own my Bronco. I was real lucky that it was only the frame that ended up stolen. Once i get the tittle I have to take it back down to CHP for vin verification and to put on a vin plate on the door, and off to the smog and DMV. I have learned a huge lesson and that is ALWAYS CHECK THE VIN NUMBERS TO MAKE SURE THEY MATCH THE TITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good to hear everything turned out ok for you, That must stink to worry about having just purchased a vehicle that you might not get to keep. Good advice, always check the VIN.

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow thats crazy man im glad you got it straitend out so you can get a title in main they go by the number on the dash and if its 15 years or older you dont need a title but if its not 15 or older and you need a title you have to apply for a lost title and the will give you one in 30 - 60 days unless somthing comes up stolen then idk what they would do but stolen vehicles are not as bad here as they are in cali not yet at least

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Goood deal it all worked out for you on this. I could of went wrong in so many different ways.90% the guy that put it together knew about the frame, saying he got it at a swap meet is one of the oldest lines in the book and I would have given his number to the CHP. Ive gone through this same thing with an old Harley I had Total BS.

Last yr up here a friend that just built a 61 Harley got pulled over and had to pull the motor out right there on the side of the road. Or he was going to lose the whole bike. He was very lucky he got a nice cop that gave him that option. He bought the motor case's from a guy that said he got them from a guy at a swap meet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts