Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some modifications to my 1982 Bronco's Interior I wanted to share some results to see what you guys thought.

Item: Krylon Fusion For Plastic

Part: Interior Panel Before

Since it says there is no prep I only cleaned the plastics with soap and water.

This is the end result of the panel

Here is what the trucks interior looked like before

Heres a stock Speaker Cover

Some speakers to put inside them, the origional mounting screws will have to be removed to mount these speakers inside I will post the pics of that mod soon.

Ok heres another brand

Item: Dupli.color vinyl & fabrics

I used this for my stereo cover replacement the replacement part was a faded wood grain I forgot to take before pics of this part but I took some pics of the broken stock one.

Before

After

All in all both performed well on plastics

Krylon worked good on both plastic and metal!

Dupli.color does not stick to metal too well

Krylon has a nice finish

Dupli.color has a very glossy effect that can blind you if you use it on a dash board lol

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
looks like the matrix to me:toothless

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that krylon paint for plastic is tits. i used it on multiple interior over the years and its just plain awesome
I cant get the pics to stick I uploaded them to photobucket and then pasted the link here for HTML am I messing up?

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Use the IMG code on photobucket and edit your previous post.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aside from the pictures being really small lol ok this was my 1st attempt at posting pics sorry guys if you guys want I will resize and re post

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
User that is Registered
998 Posts
Do you have any impressions as to the dye's scratch resistance yet? Do you think that it would hold up for door panels?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have any impressions as to the dye's scratch resistance yet? Do you think that it would hold up for door panels?
I painted the side panels yesterday and I put them in today but before I did I had some fun with the origional door panels he he he :goodfinge

You ever see what a cheese grader does to a door panel?

lol

they did pretty well considering it is paint on top of plastic, I think that if the plastic parts were in decent condition they may hold the color better as these plastics are very frail and deteriorating, I plan on replacing them all soon I just wanted something better in the mean time as you could see in the pics the interior I had before the rattle can make over was not very apealing!

but hey its moving along nicely I will post some pictures of the rattle can scratch resistance later but I have some technical issues with the engine to work on first!

I will be using a door panel to water ski hopefully I can get some pics of that too lol!

if you want a really good replacement go to

www.lmctruck.com all OEM plastics are there for the bronco's and you can order them in the color you want even seat covers and Dash mats as well!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No worries I had fun doing it lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One other quick added not when appling this stuff to the plastics do it in layers I started out just misting the parts so they had a surface to stick evenly to, if you just spray away you may end up with running or fish eyes, I normally keep the can about 12" away while spraying and layer them in sweeping motions this seems to work really well, I have a lot of experience painting Motorcycle frames with rattle cans I restore them quite often I just finished a 1999 Honda CR80R converted to a 2007 Honda CR85R I would plaster pics up here but this is not a dirt bike forum lol, my next project is a 1980 Kawasaki KDX 80 should be a fun rebuild and restore!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys so my Digi Camera decided to delete my pics of the scratch resistance test :( but heres the details anyways

Fingernail Scratch I did this test to see if the plastics could take it, my plastics are from an 85 so they are old and may not be able to withstand as much as a newer plastic such as a 96 door panel.

End Result the scratch is not noticable, depending on how hard you scratch that is, if you scratch hard then you will remove the outer paint layer, to my surprise the layer came off the harder I scratched but underneath the plastics that were origionally brown were now blue lol, it was lighter color than the color I sprayed but this was cool it does molecularly (spell check) bond to the plastics.

I also found out if you let the paint set for a few days it hardens better and is more resistant to scratches.

UV Test I sprayed a plastic piece and left it in the sunlight for 10 days straight then I compared it to a plastic I had in the garage

End Result believe it or not in 10 days there was no fade in color, maybe this would take longer to make an effect but realistically I dont want to wait any longer to reply to this, I will keep the plastic there and see how many days, weeks, months it takes to fade.

rubbing test I rubbed the plastics with a terry cloth with soapy water

End Result I could get the cloth to pick up some color from the plastics

Quick Fix buy a spray can of quick dry poly urethane (spell check) and cover the plastics kind of like a clear coat to also assist with more UV protection, this did not allow the cloth to pick up color off the plastics after the rub test.

(you can also get the clear coat spray in different textures like satin, gloss so fourth to keep low glare from the sun especially important on a dash board unless you have a cover)

I got ID'd for buying more of this stuff lol that was funny I am 31!

Ok so far I have used 4 cans of spray to do the following parts.

Drivers side door panel
Passengers side door panel
Drivers side rear interior panel
Passengers side rear interior panel
Glove Box
Rear Interior Covers (parts that cover the removable top bolts on the Bronco Shell)
Interior Door Trim that surrounds the front Windshield

I used 4 cans to cover all these parts I spayed in multiple stages and was fairly liberal to make sure I got a quality coating.

I used 4 cans of poly urethane (found at home depot)

I have 2 can of each that will be saved for my dash and kick panels when I finally get around to pulling the dash (not that much fun at the moment)

I hope this info helps someone out there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok here is another update if your plastics look like this before replace them there is no real fix for them

when you apply the paint is soaks in and doesnt coat very well at all it actually is very easy to scratch off once you do this, it doesnt coat evenly due to the worn plastic, I think if you wanted to sand it maybe but then the texture is gone, it is very noticeable where the sun bleached the areas of this plastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts