Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on the way to work. . .I had a violent sound coming from the engine bay...almost as if there was metal or plastic grinding. Didn't change tone or rapidness with RPMs

No overheating, and the battery went dead...pulled out the voltmeter...not a single bit of juice left in the brand new battery.

So she is on the side of the road. . .about a mile away from the house.

Any possible thoughts as to what is going on?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Cost me $39 to get a cab ride to work. :barf

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Did you take a look at the alternator, possibly the bearings went out and ground itself up.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you take a look at the alternator, possibly the bearings went out and ground itself up.
Sounds like it is a possibility. It was a reman alt from advanced. I am waiting on the 3g alt from Fireguy to come in the mail.

I'm just hoping it's not anything worse than that, seeing that i already paid for the alt and all that. I was just thinking that it would be my luck that the engine decided to blow up.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as soon as the alt and wiring harness get in from michigan I'm throwing it in there. i also have a new starter i was keeping till the one on it crapped out, so i'll change the alt and see how it goes, if not, i'll swap out starters.

i just really really hate having to leave my truck on the side of the road all alone. :banghead

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Well as soon as the alt and wiring harness get in from michigan I'm throwing it in there. i also have a new starter i was keeping till the one on it crapped out, so i'll change the alt and see how it goes, if not, i'll swap out starters.

i just really really hate having to leave my truck on the side of the road all alone. :banghead
Well, if you leave it there too long it's either gonna get vadalized or towed, so you're better off having it towed to your house.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts

I know the feeling. Mine died on me this morning going to work too. Still having issues with my MAP. But with your new 3g did you get the upgraded charge cable? And also a new wiring harness?

Might want to check your grounds as well. With my 3g I went ahead and replace the ground cable from battery to chassis, from chassis to block. Clean all surfaces. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if you leave it there too long it's either gonna get vadalized or towed, so you're better off having it towed to your house.
It actually broke down in a really good neighborhood..lol classy people with a bit of an eye sore on the side. If it didn't cost 30k+ people in this neighborhood don't drive it. :goodfinge

But i left a note stating i'll be towing it at 1730 incase a cop comes by and wonders.

It's just a hassel waiting for parts.

Josh-yea, i'll be doing it all. I dont' want to deal with this again. Suck about your MAP still going out :banghead that's like what...20bux a pop?

·
15,435 Posts
It's just a hassel waiting for parts.

Josh-yea, i'll be doing it all. I dont' want to deal with this again. Suck about your MAP still going out :banghead that's like what...20bux a pop?
That 3g is worth the wait though.

Also like clifton said the bearings in the new alternator might have gone out making the noise. Take the belt off and see if you can spin the alternator. If it's rough or makes noise then you know thats probably the problem.

MAP = $53 and i have bought 5 in 6 months. :banghead

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That 3g is worth the wait though.

Also like clifton said the bearings in the new alternator might have gone out making the noise. Take the belt off and see if you can spin the alternator. If it's rough or makes noise then you know thats probably the problem. MAP = $53 and i have bought 5 in 6 months. :banghead
good idea. i'll do that when i get home. i just don't know what else would totally drain the battery to nothing. not even 1 volt. it's crazy

and ouch on the maps. are you making any headway with that?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update on UPS...package is in new stanton, PA....only 4 hours away from here...needs to hurry the foook up

·
15,435 Posts
good idea. i'll do that when i get home. i just don't know what else would totally drain the battery to nothing. not even 1 volt. it's crazy

and ouch on the maps. are you making any headway with that?

The only way the battery would drain down completely is if the alt is not charging or battery is that bad!

I'm in the trial and error phase of getting the MAP fixed. I replaced alternator wiring harness, tested all wires and connectors out and everything is reading right. So I went out and got NAPA's brand MAP and see if it works. Pull codes and again and go from there. If not it might be replacing the whole wiring harness from ECU. :banghead

update on UPS...package is in new stanton, PA....only 4 hours away from here...needs to hurry the foook up
You getting it in today?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only way the battery would drain down completely is if the alt is not charging or battery is that bad!

I'm in the trial and error phase of getting the MAP fixed. I replaced alternator wiring harness, tested all wires and connectors out and everything is reading right. So I went out and got NAPA's brand MAP and see if it works. Pull codes and again and go from there. If not it might be replacing the whole wiring harness from ECU. :banghead

You getting it in today?
eek. Yea a buddy of mine suggested we just rewire the whole thing, engine bay, and underneath the dash. I am def going to get rid of the Ammeter guage...I might put a volt meter...but that will come later if i decide to do so. lol

UPS website says i have 1 buisness day left. it's only 4 hours away. i'm almost tempted to drive up there tonight and get it. lol

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright I get off work in 7 mins. Game plan to avoid a stupid $120 tow for 1 mile. I am going to swap out the blown alt with the original alt that i haven't turned in for core charge yet. At least this way I'll get some voltage rather than none at all. and hell if it blows that one too...i don't care, it's just a core. lol

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
ummm if your only goin a mile all you need is a good battery to start it and go like hell!!!

·
15,435 Posts
alright I get off work in 7 mins. Game plan to avoid a stupid $120 tow for 1 mile. I am going to swap out the blown alt with the original alt that i haven't turned in for core charge yet. At least this way I'll get some voltage rather than none at all. and hell if it blows that one too...i don't care, it's just a core. lol
Only takes a few mins to swap out the alt. Just make sure you have someone there to jump you.

ummm if your only goin a mile all you need is a good battery to start it and go like hell!!!

You could get someone to bring a old battery.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Did ya make it? :popc1:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts