Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Violent noise in engine bay

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  20sNaRanger 
#1 ·
Well on the way to work. . .I had a violent sound coming from the engine bay...almost as if there was metal or plastic grinding. Didn't change tone or rapidness with RPMs

No overheating, and the battery went dead...pulled out the voltmeter...not a single bit of juice left in the brand new battery.

So she is on the side of the road. . .about a mile away from the house.

Any possible thoughts as to what is going on?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Cost me $39 to get a cab ride to work. :barf

#3 ·
Sounds like it is a possibility. It was a reman alt from advanced. I am waiting on the 3g alt from Fireguy to come in the mail.

I'm just hoping it's not anything worse than that, seeing that i already paid for the alt and all that. I was just thinking that it would be my luck that the engine decided to blow up.

#6 ·
Well as soon as the alt and wiring harness get in from michigan I'm throwing it in there. i also have a new starter i was keeping till the one on it crapped out, so i'll change the alt and see how it goes, if not, i'll swap out starters.

i just really really hate having to leave my truck on the side of the road all alone. :banghead

#16 ·
alright I get off work in 7 mins. Game plan to avoid a stupid $120 tow for 1 mile. I am going to swap out the blown alt with the original alt that i haven't turned in for core charge yet. At least this way I'll get some voltage rather than none at all. and hell if it blows that one too...i don't care, it's just a core. lol

#21 ·
Well shits McGee. . .i swapped out the alt with the old one...then i tried to hook the leads to the battery * always working on electrical workings with the battery disconnected * and as soon as the negative lead touched the battery, the truck tried to start and lunged forward. Thankfully it wasn't hooked up and tightened. So i scratched my head for a min. . . .and decided i had something hooked up crazy to have it that way. I switched the starter solenoid back to the stock one...and BAM! it worked :)

i booked it to the house :D

still waiting the 3g :popc1:

#23 ·
i had something similar happen to me. my battery cables were completely corroded so bad that i had to get a jump start just to leave school. well i replaced them and like a week later i was at the gas station and my starter was just cranking away and making this horrible noise and after i shut off the engine it kept going. then i had an idea of what it would be. but by then my battery was done and the starter was FRIED.. totally fried. what happened was the positive had moved and arced across to where the little wire runs into it from the solenoid. so the starter got hot and cooked itself. and killed my battery too. luckily i was able to get a jump after i replaced the starter and the battery came back to life.

oh and at the time my battery was 5 years old. its a kirkland signature. i still have the same battery. and it'll be 6 years old coming up in december. i will be buying another kirkland signature battery. especially considering just last week i left my lights on and it totally killed my battery. it took another guy revving his engine and 2 sets of jumper cables off of one truck to get my truck to finally crank over. and the battery still goes great. i listen to music for an hour or more at a time without the engine running, and i have a 700 watt amp powering all 4 speakers and a 10 inch sub. and it starts up no problem every day.

#25 ·
95-yea, i don't know...i didn't get a chance to turn it off and see if the starter would still try and run. The battery was toast. My 3g package is gonna be in today so i'll be tinkering with that after work :) yay!

Josh- lol i never stand in front of a vehicle while working on it alone * i say alone because i know nicole wouldn't know what to do * plus her car was in front of my truck and i don't like to chance getting smooshed.

I didn't have to jump the truck because advanced auto gave me a new battery

I did however **** up when i was taking the starter solenoid off...i disconnected the ground to the battery, and when i was taking off the wires to the solenoid, my socket wrench slipped out of my hand and tapped the neg term of the battery and sparks were flying. lol scary and luckily nothing else eventful happend :p

soooooo can't wait for this day to be over and me to put that 3g glorious alt in.

I still gotta read up on how to change the vbelt...if i have to take the radiator off or what

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.