Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took my truck in today to get the transmission looked at. The truck with shake at 60+. I am just used to it because of the fact that it is old. I KNOW things are wrong with the truck. The conclusion he came to is that the rear drive shaft is bad. He wants to take out the drive shaft, send it to a mechanic (sublet) and have another one repaired/rebuilt.

Does this sound like something that could be true. Can the driveshaft cause the truck to shake on the highway at 60+ or am i getting my chain pulled???

Yes i did search but i didn't find anything about the driveshaft.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sure it can.. if it is bent even a little bit, it can cause a vibration.
The faster the drive shaft spins, the more centrifugal force takes over and the shaking can go into the rear end or transmission. Both of which, at some point, connect to the frame and the vibration passes thru the entire truck.
Personally, I would grab one from a junkyard and see what happens.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
60 + tells me its tire balance or alignment. Possibly the driveshaft but its not a hard job to replace u joints. Get under the truck and try to move the rear shaft. If it has play in it or clicks then probably bad joints but they are $5 each and take 30min to replace all of them. How much was he going to charge you for a rear shaft rebuild?

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
537 Posts
So i took my truck in today to get the transmission looked at. The truck with shake at 60+. I am just used to it because of the fact that it is old. I KNOW things are wrong with the truck. The conclusion he came to is that the rear drive shaft is bad. He wants to take out the drive shaft, send it to a mechanic (sublet) and have another one repaired/rebuilt.

Does this sound like something that could be true. Can the driveshaft cause the truck to shake on the highway at 60+ or am i getting my chain pulled???

Yes i did search but i didn't find anything about the driveshaft.
You betcha! your driveshaft will wobble like crazy and cause a ruckus if its damaged...but before i commit to a new or reworked shaft..do a simple test...take out the shaft (and the u-joints as well if you havent replaced them in a while..they are easy to replace and quite cheap, if your truck makes a clicking sound when its rolling they need replaced anyway)...roll the driveshaft on a flat surface and look for warpage at the ends...a wobble more or less...if you dont notice anything right away..take a micrometer and measure the diameter of the shaft at one end and spin it while moveing the mike up and down the shaft....if you have a drag spot or a spot that grabs the mike..examine that spot a little closer...you will be able to tell if its mishapen any way...the shaft needs to be perfectly balanced to spin without vibration...some places put a small tac-weld in a spot on the shaft to correct thespin kinda like a tire weight..that can be a cheap..TEMPORARY solution....good luck

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You betcha! your driveshaft will wobble like crazy and cause a ruckus if its damaged...but before i commit to a new or reworked shaft..do a simple test...take out the shaft (and the u-joints as well if you havent replaced them in a while..they are easy to replace and quite cheap, if your truck makes a clicking sound when its rolling they need replaced anyway)...roll the driveshaft on a flat surface and look for warpage at the ends...a wobble more or less...if you dont notice anything right away..take a micrometer and measure the diameter of the shaft at one end and spin it while moveing the mike up and down the shaft....if you have a drag spot or a spot that grabs the mike..examine that spot a little closer...you will be able to tell if its mishapen any way...the shaft needs to be perfectly balanced to spin without vibration...some places put a small tac-weld in a spot on the shaft to correct thespin kinda like a tire weight..that can be a cheap..TEMPORARY solution....good luck
Or just take the rear driveshaft out, put it in 4 high and see if the vibration is still there. While it's out, rotate the rear pinion to see if there's too much play.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
It doesn't even need to be bent it could just be out of balance, JUNKYARD!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the guy said something like 500+ for a rebuilt driveshaft and rebalance

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is a nice picture of a sticker...

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Where in Calif are you??????????

Ill do it for half that AND ill give you a 6 month guaranty. But dont you have like 38" tires??? i think that would more then likely be your problem.

So if you spend that money on the DS and it still does it at least you will have a nice newly painted DS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where in Calif are you??????????

Ill do it for half that AND ill give you a 6 month guaranty. But dont you have like 38" tires??? i think that would more then likely be your problem.

So if you spend that money on the DS and it still does it at least you will have a nice newly painted DS.

BWAHAHAHA

I appreciate you looking out. :banghead

I am actually in SOCAL. i have been looking at broncograveyard.com and looking to replace it myself. I would like to get things done to it myself but i really dont know much about what i am doing. I guess all i can do it trial and error right...

I am running 33" tires right now and i am just lost on what to do

This is what i am looking at buying myself and doing myself but i want to make sure i am getting the right parts.

Driveshaft:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32416-bronco-rear-driveshaft-3-7-8-x-26-9-16-x-3-7-8in-.html
U-Joints:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12492-gold-seal-universal-joint-1330-series-driveshaft-ujoint.html

are these what i need for my bronco. I would go out and measure everyting right now but my bronco is at the shop overnight.

Any more thoughts???

EDIT: My bronco is a 93 5.8 with an E4OD tranny. Stock everything except tires...

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
i had the same problem. around 60 it would shake like hell. it was the APBs. the one on the right was almost gone. what happens is the whole right axle tube would move to the right. when that happend the tie rod stays in the same place so the wheel turns to the left. that causes the axle tube to move back to the left. since the tie rod is still staying in the same spot the wheel turns to the right and pulls the axle tube that was again. this happens really fast over and over again creating a horrible shaking, vibration. it could be interpreted either way, a little wear could cause a bad vibration. make sense?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had the same problem. around 60 it would shake like hell. it was the APBs. the one on the right was almost gone. what happens is the whole right axle tube would move to the right. when that happend the tie rod stays in the same place so the wheel turns to the left. that causes the axle tube to move back to the left. since the tie rod is still staying in the same spot the wheel turns to the right and pulls the axle tube that was again. this happens really fast over and over again creating a horrible shaking, vibration. it could be interpreted either way, a little wear could cause a bad vibration. make sense?
absolutely not. you might as well have typed that in korean...

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
for what they want to charge you I myself would buy the new one its half the price. But that's only if i knew that was the problem. And i couldn't find a JY one to rebuild.

See if your mechanic will take it for a drive without the rear DS in there to see if it does it still.
How is the wear on your tires??

Do you feel the Vib in the steering wheel???? OR
Do you feel the vib in your seat ( your ass ) when it happens

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for what they want to charge you I myself would buy the new one its half the price. But that's only if i knew that was the problem.

See if your mech will take it for a drive without the rear DS in there to see if it does it still.
How is the wear on your tires??

Do you feel the Vib in the steering wheel???? OR
Do you feel the vib in your seat ( your ass ) when it happens
so are you saying to remove the rear DS, and engage the 4x4?

The vib is all over, mirrors, seat, door, pass seat...not so much the steering wheel but it is in the wheel...ass more then wheel though

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Is it like a fast harmonic vib? when it hits? does it just do it at 60? or does it keep going like up to 70 or 75? and does it go away if you get off the gas??

Yes put it in 4wheel drive with out the rear DS and get it up to 60 mph.
Sorry for all the ??? but i would hate to see someone pay that much and still have the problem. Cause they are not going to go, oh im sorry we were wrong here's your money back.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
that is a nice picture of a sticker...
Sorry, thought you would get the idea.

First thing I would do is have the drive shaft inspected and balanced if necessary. Good chance it my be, or lead you to, the actual problem... :doh0715:

Why run out and replace a bunch of parts before you know what the problem actually is?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey man...i completely understand what you are tlaking about and i am glad to see that you actually care enough to ask the questions. The vib does not go away the faster you go. I haven't gotten it past 75 but it was constant...a tiny bit more aggressive the faster you get but just barely enough to know...

when it comes to letting off the gas...that doesn't do anything until you are out of the speed range

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, thought you would get the idea.

First thing I would do is have the drive shaft inspected and balanced if necessary. Good chance it my be, or lead you to, the actual problem... :doh0715:

Why run out and replace a bunch of parts before you know what the problem actually is?
well i am having the driveshaft removed and tested tomorrow. The shop said they will do it for 65 bucks to have it removed, tested and reinstalled (if i so choose) and then i will go from there

1 - 20 of 86 Posts