Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wanna suck my
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this when i was surfing the net today. Seems kinda scary that you call 911 in FL and you might get a operator in CA..

http://www.slate.com/id/2106424

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
So that's what all of those warnings plastered all over the box and equipment saying "REGISTER 911 SERVICE USING INCLUDED INSTRUCTIONS IMMEDIATELY AFTER SETTING UP EQUIPMENT. 911 SERVICE WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY IF NOT ACTIVATED!!!!!!!!" were talking about!? :doh0715:

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
This has been an issue for years. I've been trying to find an article about a family who couldn't get through to 911 years ago when the whole VOIP was just really starting to hit the market. They needed it for their daughter but when they called it, they got the Police stations office line that simply gave them the the times they were open and that if it was an emergency please hang up and dial 911. The father went next door and used the neighbors phone but by then their daughter was dead. They didn't have a cell phone at the time either. They are the reason now, that the large warning is on the box. That's part of the reason I only trust old fashioned copper land lines for telephone use. With companies like Verizon FIOS, Brighthouse(Time Warner) and ComCast offering alternative phone lines, if something happens like a Hurricane, you loose your phone service. Sure the battery backup in the box supposedly lasts 4-7 hours but after that, you have nothing. With the 100+ year old DC technology that the old phone service runs off, you still have phone service 99% of the time.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer
I always thought that came from George Carlin-?

We gave up the land line. Our cells work just fine here. In our last place, cell service was sketchy, so we kept the land line there.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I use VoIP here, Vonage in the house and Broadvoice in the garage that runs in to a custom PBX system. Anyways the times I needed to use 911 it has always worked correctly. But that is because we followed the directions and registered for the 911. That and I have a UPS on the modem and first router/primary phone. So even with a power outage one phone still works. The only time it don't is when comcrap decides to f-up the network on their end. But in that case I break out the old prepaid cell phone. Since I hardly use it (once a month or so). Which still permits 911 calling even if your out of minutes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I use VoIP here, Vonage in the house and Broadvoice in the garage that runs in to a custom PBX system. Anyways the times I needed to use 911 it has always worked correctly. But that is because we followed the directions and registered for the 911. That and I have a UPS on the modem and first router/primary phone. So even with a power outage one phone still works. The only time it don't is when comcrap decides to f-up the network on their end. But in that case I break out the old prepaid cell phone. Since I hardly use it (once a month or so). Which still permits 911 calling even if your out of minutes.
asterisk for your custom pbx?

·
wanna suck my
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont Use a hard line, no need with my cell phone, But it just struck me as odd when i stumbled upon this article....

·
Registered
273 Posts
The VOIP systems like Vonage, Skype, etc have no idea where you are located. I installed Vonage for a while and had several customers that traveled with their box. For example one guy had a house in Maine in the summer and here in Charleston, sc in the winter. They have to be informed using the E911 system on where to send the call that is just out on the Internet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought everyone knew this.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I have been using VOIP for years. I had AT&T until they closed their service. Now I'm on phonepower.com. Like others posted you just reqister (with mine online at my login page) then change it if you take your VOIP modem anywhere.

I also have all my braodband equipment and my cordless phone base on a UPS. It can keep it running for hours if the power goes out. I had a 4 hour outage about 6 weeks ago and it hardly made a dent in the battery on the UPS.

The best part is the unlimited US/Canada calling for $200 for two years service. My wife can call the Phillipines for about 1/10 the cost of a cell phone call and 1/4 the cost of a land line.

Oh yea, we have two cell phones beyond that.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
asterisk for your custom pbx?
3CX Phone System right now. I am switching over to TrixBox since I got the kinks worked out in a VM test environment. Right now I am making it live on one of my aux. servers.

Current config is 3cx Phone System PBX Free Edition v8 running on Windows 2k3 Standard edition.

The new config will be TrixBox which is CentOS 5.5 final, Asterisk 1.6.2 (I think, it is the latest stable release).

I've used 3cx for the past 2-3 months and its alright for basic usage. For the free edition they limit you on features. And to get the ones I want I need to drop over a $1000 in licensing. So for the past 2 days I've been fiddling around in VMware on my primary desktop figuring out trixbox so I can set it up with out issue.

·
Registered
812 Posts
if you have any asterisk/trixbox questions, I'm here. Not a pro with it, but I've built and implemented a system at work.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
3CX Phone System right now. I am switching over to TrixBox since I got the kinks worked out in a VM test environment. Right now I am making it live on one of my aux. servers.

Current config is 3cx Phone System PBX Free Edition v8 running on Windows 2k3 Standard edition.

The new config will be TrixBox which is CentOS 5.5 final, Asterisk 1.6.2 (I think, it is the latest stable release).

I've used 3cx for the past 2-3 months and its alright for basic usage. For the free edition they limit you on features. And to get the ones I want I need to drop over a $1000 in licensing. So for the past 2 days I've been fiddling around in VMware on my primary desktop figuring out trixbox so I can set it up with out issue.
lolwut?

·
Registered
812 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts