Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down my no-spark issue and I've come down to it being in the coil area. Before I go out and buy a new coil, I'm wonder how some of my readings look:

When the cap is off of the coil, I get a ~6.8V reading across the two points. I get ~11.9V when testing the one side to ground and ~4.5 when I test the side connected to the resistor to ground. I'm assuming that the resistor brings the voltage down from 12V to the 6V range. However, once I click the cap onto the coil I read 0V across the two points. Is this normal? I've tried swapping in two different coils and I get the same reading.

I did a search yesterday and was really only able to find people talking about taking the 12V (+) to ground reading from the coil cap.

When I try starting it, I have a grounded spark plug connected directly to the coil wire. I've tried two different coil wires, too.

Does it sound like I have two bad coils? One is the usual $24 coil and the other is a 48000V Accel coil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really don't trully understand compleelty how a coil field builds and collapses BUT try putting the distributor cap and rotor on along with a plug wire and checking for spark. I have tried it like you are doing before and did not get spark but added all of the above and got a good spark. Doesn't make any sense to me though.
clint

1 - 3 of 3 Posts