Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I'm seeing. When the truck is at idle the voltage is about 13.9. When I turn on the A/C or use any of the power windows the voltage drops to around 12. There’s also a voltage hit when I turn on the lights, but not as drastic. The truck has a new alternator and battery within the last 2 months. Tested my buddies Toyota and when you use his power windows the voltage only drops like 3/10ths of a volt.

Also on the initial crank when the engine was cold the voltage was all the way at like 14.8 for about 5 mins. That seems way to high, but it was like at high idle, once it warmed up a bit it dropped down to 13.9.

Any ideas???

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Do you have the stock type 2g alternator ? Search for the 3G alternator upgrade, that's what I did. Now i have 160 amps and my guage never moves when i turn on the headlights or roll down the windows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a stock type. I don't plan to put any additional load on it so I didn't do the upgrade when I changed it out recently.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
The stock alternators will start fires and are not up to the task, The power wire that supplies power to the battery is TINY ! I was shocked how dinky it was when I removed it to do my 3G upgrade. I had just put a new alternator on my Bronco when I joined this site and the fellas had to do a lot of convincing but it is the single best upgrade you can do. searchy searchy, take yer new alternator back and tell them it molested the neighbors dog or bad karma or something, and that will almost pat fer the 3g. There is a guy on this website that sells everything {Fireguy50}

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm might do the 3g upgrade sometime in the future, but I'm pulling the motor tomorrow to change the rear main seal, front transmission seal, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. Hopefully it will all go smoothly since I need to have it all done and put back together by Sunday evening. Wife told me I couldn't spend anymore money on the Bronco after all this stuff.

Anyway regardless of 3g upgrade or not the voltage is doing some funky stuff like I stated above. Does anyone have any advice on what could be causing the problem. If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere once that if your voltage went over 14.2 that the voltage regulator was bad. I was thinking of changing it out to see if helped.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
537 Posts
Here's what I'm seeing. When the truck is at idle the voltage is about 13.9. When I turn on the A/C or use any of the power windows the voltage drops to around 12. There’s also a voltage hit when I turn on the lights, but not as drastic. The truck has a new alternator and battery within the last 2 months. Tested my buddies Toyota and when you use his power windows the voltage only drops like 3/10ths of a volt.

Also on the initial crank when the engine was cold the voltage was all the way at like 14.8 for about 5 mins. That seems way to high, but it was like at high idle, once it warmed up a bit it dropped down to 13.9.

Any ideas???
ok I think Im missing the point here...that voltage drop does seem a bit much but...are you having a problem of some sort or just concerned about the usage?..if everything is running/working I dont know what to tell ya mate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check your grounds, I've had a spotty ground act like that before.

BTW - the 3g really is worth the effort. If you bought the replacement at a store and can return it go the the JY and get a 3G for about $15 - I know your 2g is better then the ancient stock one I had on my '79, but the difference is noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts