Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i used search and didnt find what i needed so here goes, im installing a 3 guage cluster with oil pressure, Amps, and water temp but what should the amps be hooked up to?

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Read the directions that it came with. Or I have a better idea.... take the Ammeter back and get a volts gauge, they are much much simpler to hook up, I can tell you what the one wire goes to on a volts gauge... anywhere that has power when you turn the key on.

How about bringing one of your other 40 threads back to the top and ask these simple questions, or just start one single one with "help Colinlesser" as the title and keep updating it.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
How about bringing one of your other 40 threads back to the top and ask these simple questions, or just start one single one with "help Colinlesser" as the title and keep updating it.
a voice of reason :notworthy

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
colinlesser said:
In my professional opinion you now have all the advice you need.
1. read the directions
2. throw it out and buy a volts gauge
3. stick to 1 thread, hell a weekly thread is better then 3 a day.
Good day, goodnight and please learn to read.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have the csh to pick up another meter, besides it was part of a 3 guage cluster, and i wouldnt be asking if the instructions were clear enough its telling be that itneed to be attached to the starter, but the diagram shows that wire going to the starter then to the ignitoin which it doesnt do, so instead of telling me to get a volt meter why dont you help me figure out where it attaches

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
the 7.00 that a volt meter costs is about the same as the 10-12 feet of 8 gauge wire that a ammeter takes to install. The instructions are how you run it, my buddy ran one in his 77 Mustang II and he had wire running all over the place. It was pretty bad cuz he bought large strand wire that didnt bend but in a 2' radius.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
colinlesser said:
so instead of telling me to get a volt meter why dont you help me figure out where it attaches

Are you begging for help or being an ass? My guess is the latter. Either way, If you can't get it installed yourself, i doubt you would even know what it means if you got a reading. SO, do what they told you, buy a 7 dollar volt meter, and make sure it always reads above 12. OTAY? And Bronk is right, at least make a weekly post instead of all the daily ones.

Yeller

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
again i dont want a volt meter, i want the amp meter, i al ready have a volt meter and just dont have it installed, i think im just going to join a different forum, because aparently when some one asks a question they have to catch shit for it, and still not get the answer for the question they were asking, so **** you old yeller!, and you wonder why eeveryone thinks your a asshole

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Collin.
No one knows how to hook up an Ampmeter becouse no one uses one.

Only Steve and a few others would know.

Ampmeters are cumbersome to install, dont really tell you much, and if installed wrong they can be a fire hazard. (So I have heared)

So no one uses them.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Dude, this is an honest question. Do you know what the difference between volts and amps is? I realize the gauge setup you got came with an ammeter but it's really a useless indication(for most people). You just want to make sure you're above 12 VDC that's why a volt gauge is more important.
BTW, nobody here is stopping you from joining a different forum, but it'll take about 1 or 2 days before you piss them off and they all ignore you. Most of the guys here have been more tolerant of your never ending "common sense" questions than I've seen with other people. Go back and look at some of your posts. First you ask a simple question, then 15 minutes later another, then 20 minutes later another, it's never ending. If you would just take some time to read the Haynes manual and think about the "problems" you're encountering you'd be able to figure most of them out on your own.
And if the truth hurts then tough Sh!t because I guarantee at least 99% of the people here feel the same way. And your BS remark to Old Yeller was uncalled for. That shit and the reasons I just stated is why you don't get many responses to your questions. Now grow up and at least try to help yourself a little and you will get better responses.

81Bronk36 said:
Read the directions that it came with. Or I have a better idea.... take the Ammeter back and get a volts gauge, they are much much simpler to hook up, I can tell you what the one wire goes to on a volts gauge... anywhere that has power when you turn the key on.

:histerica That's some funny $h!t right there, mainly because everyone else is thinking the same thing.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Steve83 said:
A) There are 2 types of ammeter: series (full-current) & parallel (shunted/solid-state). I don't know which kind you've got, & I suspect you don't either, so I'm not going to try to guess.

B) There are an infinite number of ways to install an ammeter, depending on which circuit you want to measure & what you expect the gauge to tell you about that circuit. But you probably don't know either of those things, either, so I'm not going to try to list all the ways & considerations of installing it.

C) If you don't have $7 to buy a new voltmeter, and you haven't installed the voltmeter you already had, and you don't know how to hook up an ammeter, WHY did you buy an ammeter?

Do you see how irrational you are? That's probably why no one is interested in helping you. Hell - look at this thread: titled "voltage meter" and you only want to know about an AMP meter!
:twak
That, and you post too many threads that could be combined. Stop jumping all over the place - FINISH one project by LEARNING about it, and once you understand it, move on to ONE new one.
OMG you now became the first person to get owned by Steve, congradulations:histerica

Go ahead and join another board, I cant say you brought much to this one.

EDIT, next time someone wants to wheel his dana 44 TTB with 44" swampers we wont talk him out of it either moron.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I agree, if you cant afford a Voltmeter, you cant afford the gauges you have, the cost dfferential between getting a volmeter gauge and the hassel of doing an ammeter, is substantial.....do a voltmeter, and make it simple, bottom line, I dont care what you do, I am just looking at the $$$$ involved, and the results you may get...or not

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Are you talking about battery cranking amps? If so then forget it, you can't. You can see how many amps the alternator is putting out, totally different from battery cranking amps.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
You ammmeter always goes down when you crank.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
stangmata50l said:
I told him, in plain English. He already got his answer.
I know, hes just so damn hard headed.

colinlesser said:
the reason i want a ampmeter is to check my cranking amps as they go
Why?????
As what goes?????
The amps of what circit are you wanting to moniter?

The Voltomiter will tell you more.
Why do you think that no cars come with Ampmeters any more?

Look, remove the Ampmeter from the three gauge pod and install the Voltometer that you already have in place of it in the pod. Now hook the voltopmeter up, it's much esier.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
ok, since this thread is already started, i'm going to ask my question.

i understand that the ampmeter measures the current on ONE circuit.

now, where/how does a VOLTmeter measure the volts? at the alternator? at the battery? i know it's simple but i dunno how it works.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
colinlesser said:
so **** you old yeller!, and you wonder why eeveryone thinks your a asshole

So this must be why I don't have any trouble finding tech help, and you have to beg for responses to your questions. As stated before, tard boy, get a volt meter, hook it up, and move on to the next common sense question. And as clarification, I am an asshole, I don't wonder about it, get over it.

Stepchild, as far as my knowledge of voltmeters goes, the one on my jeep hooks up to the starter solenoid on the hot side, that way it reads the voltage of the battery by itself when the engine is not running, and it measures the output of the alternator when the engine is running.

Eat Me,
Old Yeller

1 - 20 of 41 Posts