Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i searched i swear and all i could find was threads about voltage fluctuation.

i'm losing all volts right now. i fired the truck this morning and it started up just fine. after the rpm's dropped so did the voltage. and not just a small drop, it totally got rid of all of it. i had to drive it into work and when i spiked the rpm's it would give me a temporary spike in the voltage then it would die right off.

is this just an alternator issue or do i have a more serious problem on my hands?

thanks in advance for the help

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I know that this will sound totally off base, but I had similar issues when my fuel pump died. It was making a short, which was enough to completely tank the battery voltage. It was running very crappy due to not getting enough fuel delivered. I don't know if that's your problem, but it's something to think about.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you know it was stumbling a bit on me too when i was driving in. i figured it was just because i didn't have enough volts to keep the engine running properly. oh gawd is it an inline fuel pump on my rig?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You may want to test your battery and alternator before you're really stranded. Take them both to a competent shop with the proper testing equipment. Most retail stores will do it for free these days.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i work at a dealership but unfortuneately we aren't set up to test either. and with it being the long weekend this weekend for us nothing is open, not even our service department for me to yank the alt or batt to get them tested.

looks like i'm sucking up to the general manager to get a vehicle off the lot for the weekend.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we have a volt meter, but flame me if you want i don't know how to use it. so a test on the voltage can be ran, but that's going to tell me what i already know, i have no voltage. it's not going to tell me why

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
Kitty said:
it's not going to tell me why
It will if you know where and what to test. ;) You can check the diodes in the alternator with a volt meter. Don't ask me how, that was 2 quarters ago in the Battery and Charging class and my memory is gone since the accident. :banghead

Just from the fact you said you lose voltage with RPM drop, sounds like the alternator to me. But I dunno. :shrug

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm gonna check a few things tomorrow seeings as how the truck is having a camp out at work right now

but i'm gonna cheat on the alternator test and just pull the neg batt cable when i have the truck running and see what happens. that will be a quick diagnoses right there for me.

until then i'll just have to keep telling everyone that no it's not a cavalier it's a FSB with a cloaking device lol

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright after getting laughed at for working on my truck in a white skirt, at least now i know for sure that the problem is the alternator.

thanks to everyone who offered up help for me.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i did 4 3g up grades this weekend it seems to get faster each time last one took 20 min. for the balence of the hour i upgraded the clutch fan to the 2 speed taruas fans, so much happer the trucks were. i give you your choice of 2G alts or help upgrade yours to a 3G as well. total cost is $16 +$3 for core and $30 for a 175 amp circuit breaker and $20 for OO charge wires and starter cables.......it was a maojor improvement in all the broncos and trucks i done over the last few weeks.......mike

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Steve83 said:
good lord, now steve is a leghumper. the apocolypse is upon us.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm really not sure i'm following this whole 3g 4g upgrade thing.

i ordered in a 95amp alternator

but as far as this upgrade i'm sorry i have no idea what it is that you guys are talking about

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow found the thread and did some reading through it

sounds like a kick ass upgrade for sure, but also not one that i will be able to do.

3G alternators are not available in canada apparently. i'd have to special order in from the states and i can't have my truck down for that long. it's been down for 3 days already due to the long weekend and everything being closed and i'm still not sure if i will get my truck back today or not.

thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The 3g upgrade is worth every penny. My off-road lights are always bright and the volt gauge doesn't drop like it did with the stock alt.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
again i really thank you guys for the help with the ideas for the upgrade and i understand how good of an upgrade that it is.

however again time is also a factor for me in this. my bronco is my dd and i work alot of hours. not only am i not able to make it to a wrecker at this point in time, but i can not have my vehicle down for much longer.

again thanks for the great advice on the 3g upgrade and i will keep in mind for when i have more time to do the upgrade without error.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Kitty said:
3G alternators are not available in canada apparently. i'd have to special order in from the states
Who ever told you that the 3G is only available in the states TOTALLY BS'ed you! :duh

I managed to locate them in NAPA and many of the auto parts places in Alberta & BC.
No need to order an alt from the states unless you want to.

Even the wreckers out here have a few of them, just have to know what to look for (as described in the 3G threads).
I just picked up 3 the other day (still need to be tested though).:rockon

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
Kitty said:
wow found the thread and did some reading through it

sounds like a kick ass upgrade for sure, but also not one that i will be able to do.

3G alternators are not available in canada apparently. i'd have to special order in from the states and i can't have my truck down for that long. it's been down for 3 days already due to the long weekend and everything being closed and i'm still not sure if i will get my truck back today or not.

thanks for the advice though
PM Sixlitre - he's in Canada and will give you good sound advice for finding a 3g on the cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts