Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

It's been years since I visited this site, mostly because my Bronco has been off the road since '05 due to accumulated mechanical problems.

I am going to try and resurrect it yet once again. It is a 1982 351 Windsor and I have owned it since 1985. My question is about the charging system. I have the rear terminal alternator with the external regulator. I remember once reading somewhere years ago where you can disconnect the regulator and jump two connectors to see if the alternator is putting out voltage. I would like to see if the alternator, regulator or both are defective before going any further.

If someone could advise how I could isolate the components I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Ivan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you for your reply. Will try, weather permitting. Since the Bronco has been idle for 3 years (not unusual in the life of this truck) the brakes go to the floor and everything on the underside is incredibly rusted, shows no sign of leakage but both reservoirs were dry. This must be my first hurdle.
Thanks again!

Ivan

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
there are all kinds of different tests to do depending on what exactly you're trying to figure out.

The old MOTORS books cover it really well and almost all libraries keep a copy or two in stock. you need anything from about 1967 (whenever they went to the alternator)until about 1990 (whenever they quit using the 1G alternator) car or truck

But A to F at the regulator should turn the alternator "on" to see if you're upvolting.

Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts