Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today driving home I hit some nasty washboards. Nothing unusual, but after that every tiny bump I hit and the voltmeter on my radar detector would go nuts. It would bounce between about 12.5 all the way up to about about 16.5 and start flashing high voltage. It would bounce between high and low many times a second. The voltmeter on the dash bounces around as well, but only moves about 1.5 volts throughout the bouncing. I think it just can't keep up. As long as the road is perfectly smooth everything is fine. I presume the voltage regulator went out. Am I correct in this assumption. I don't want to drive it until I can fix the problem since I'm sure that high of voltage can't be good for the computer or the battery. Thanks for your help. Also, the alt. is the stock stlye and very possibly the stock alt.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Probably a loose harness and connectors on the alternator. If you have one of those alternators with the three-prong rectangular connector, you should probably replace the connector immediately. These are known firestarters. The spade connectors wiggle themselves loose, causing heat and arcing. Replacements are readily available. Also, you might want to remove the alternator and battery, and have them both tested. It's free insurance. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.