Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 5.8L with C6 tranny. It has a 2 wire VSS. I have no ecu as it was removed years ago. I am trying to connect an aftermarket speedo. I know the green wire is signal. The other I imagine went to the ecu was it for power or ground?

Where does the other wire go connected?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,882 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yo FirstPriority,
Here ya go, black is to ground.
View attachment 153895
Thank you! This will come in handy for other items. One thing to note but may not matter. The second wire is red with a white stripe. I figure it went to the ecu bit if I ground it the green wire should let the speedo read the resistance. Is that accurate?

·
Super Moderator
23,882 Posts
Yo First,
Sorry, I became woozy because of nail polish remover fumes as our granddaughter polished our 3 daughter's and much better half's finger nails.
I lost track of your year, objective, my balance and ability to think, etc.
Will your new speedometer run via a cable such as it is now?

"Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in Transfer Case Extension Housing;
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a small signal generator that is turned by a gear inside the transmission assembly. The Vehicle Speed Sensor produces 8 pulse per rotation which a stock computer assumes 8000 pulses per mile. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a variable reluctance sensor that generates a waveform with a frequency that is proportional to vehicle road speed. When the vehicle is moving slowly, the sensor produces a low frequency signal. As the vehicle speed increases, the sensor produces a higher frequency signal The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) supplies this signal to the components that require vehicle speed information including the speed control amplifier for cruise control equipped vehicles and computer. The computer uses the VSS signal for emmisions contol programs and speed limiters. The emmisions programing can cause a manual transmission vehicle to stall out while decelerating if no VSS is used." by Ryan M

See VSS AND Speedometer Replacement in a 90 by Keith L @ 1990 Ford Bronco Speedo Gearo Replace-o pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
That Red/Pink (most likey Pink, faded to whiteish) is for later years.

·
ate lug
8,477 Posts
Thank you! This will come in handy for other items. One thing to note but may not matter. The second wire is red with a white stripe. I figure it went to the ecu bit if I ground it the green wire should let the speedo read the resistance. Is that accurate?

I have the 1988 Ford EVTM. Says the wires are DG/W and R/LB. So im assuming you mean Red/LB (light blue). This wire goes to the Speed Control Amplifier which is used for the cruise control. it does appear to go to ground elsewhere in the harness. The other wire goes to both the EEC and the Speed Control Amp. Gonna be honest, i have no idea the voltage or frequency coming from the sensor, and the book doesnt specify. Im doubtful you can use it for an aftermarket speedo, my guess is youre going to have to get something to convert from the cable over to an electrical input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts