Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. How exaclty does a VSS work?
There's been alot of 9" swaps going on, on FSB. I considering, for the hell of it to do the swap also (excuse to get druck & dirty). Are nine inchers available with VSS?
Thanks All.

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
dkaska said:
Just curious. How exaclty does a VSS work?
There's been alot of 9" swaps going on, on FSB. I considering, for the hell of it to do the swap also (excuse to get druck & dirty). Are nine inchers available with VSS?
Thanks All.
No, only the 8.8" and the Sterling 10.25/10.5" and some models of Dana 70/80 have VSS. It is a toothed ring on the differental carrier (next to the ring gear) mated with a sensor that mounts to the outside of the differental. The 8.8" will have an 108 tooth tone ring and the 10.25/10.5" will have a 120 tooth tone ring. None of the 9" rear ends have this tone ring/sensor combination. There are several web sites that show how one might rig up an external sensor but I would forget that option. There is not enough of a strength difference between the 8.8" and the 9" to consider swapping a 9" in. If you need stronger get yourself a nice D-70 for better ground clearance or source a Sterling 10.25/10.5 AKA the rock catcher.

As far as the theory goes the toothed tone ring sends a series of pulses back to the engine control unit and eventually to the spedo on newer broncos. In the older broncos the VSS is used mainley for the rear wheel ABS system.

dc

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dangling.
My thinkin was, theres a pakistani guy next door at work whos got salvage vehicles. 9" R&P and lockers are resonably(sp) priced. Got a neighbor who has set up tools and is familiar with gears. So I thought why not take my time build up a 9" with gears, locker and possibly discs.
Is it pretty involoved to switch a manual spedo.

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
dkaska said:
Thanks Dangling.
My thinkin was, theres a pakistani guy next door at work whos got salvage vehicles. 9" R&P and lockers are resonably(sp) priced. Got a neighbor who has set up tools and is familiar with gears. So I thought why not take my time build up a 9" with gears, locker and possibly discs.
Is it pretty involoved to switch a manual spedo.
What year Bronco do you own?

That would make a lot of difference in setting up a manual spedo. The '96 with odbc-II and I beleave some CA models of the 95 must have the VSS for the engine control computer to work. More involved than just the spedo, little things like your tranny won't work, FI will not be up to par etc.

dc

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Get yourself a cheap 10.25, they are not very expensive to source and strong as all heck. However if your buddy can source a early 1990's E-350 van it should have a dana 70 with VSS. Cheaper to set up, but make sure it has the VSS you will need it.

If you go with a 10.25 you can source one off of a 1985-86 and up F-350 2wd truck. You might even find one under a F-250.

With the ODBC-II computer in your '96 you MUST have the VSS. BTW I have a '96 as well.
dc

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
what is vss?

·
Only the Bronco
973 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
thnx

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
hey does anyone know where the breather lines on the tranny and front pumpkin are?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
The VSS also controls your shift points...on your '96 it would not shift properly without it...

·
Registered
893 Posts
xmeinherzbrennt said:
hey does anyone know where the breather lines on the tranny and front pumpkin are?
TTB? it's right on top of the pumpkin
E4OD? it's on top of the bellhousing and pretty hard to get at

·
Registered
214 Posts
A vss actual creates an AC voltage to send to the computer. The computer knows how fast you are going because of the frequency of the signal. You might be alright to use a 9" because you have a manual tranny, but you won't have a speedometer or antilock brakes.

·
Had a mullet in HS
1,084 Posts
Can the carrier be replaced with a full spool and the VSS bolt back up to the spool? Or is it ANYTIME the carrier is replaced you've FUBAR'd the VSS?!?!?!?1

·
Registered
187 Posts
I dont know if yall saw... but in the back of Petersons Off Road was a tech tip about axele swapping with VSS. "... at LeDuc's raceshop we found the solution. LeDuc showed us this modified pinion yoke and bracket that moves the vehicle speed sensor out of the axle and onto the output shaft of the transfer case. The new yoke is modified to generate the correct signal, yet stay high and dry out of harms way. With this conversion kit you can run any rear axle you want and the truck will drive right and the ABS will still work" Pgs 118-119 if ya got the mag and if u dont you can give Leduc a call at (909) 845-8820. It didnt give a price but it may be worth it and give yall alot more rear axle options.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Dangling_Dave said:
If you go with a 10.25 you can source one off of a 1985-86 and up F-350 2wd truck. You might even find one under a F-250.

With the ODBC-II computer in your '96 you MUST have the VSS. BTW I have a '96 as well.
dc
All the F250s have them. Its actually the exact same axle thats in the F350 SRW. And 2 or 4 wheel drive doesn't matter, with the F250 or F350

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
If the 9 inch is something you just have to have, a VSS can be fabed up on it. I made one on a early 10.25 by welding 134 small teeth on the brake drum and built a bracket to hold the sensor on top of it. The bracket was bolted to the 2 front U-bolt studs on top of the spring on the left side. It actually worked pretty good. The stock 8.8 had 108 teeth, I figured out the 134 would make the speedo accurate with the gear ratio/tire change and it was right on accurate. The only thing is every 6 months or so, you will have to clean all the metal filings off that collect on the sensor, otherwise the speedo starts to jump

·
Wanna see my
4,450 Posts
how do you get the VSS out of the 8.8 to clean it or replace it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts