Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im in the process of putting a 351w with proflo 4 in my 1996 bronco. Im using the HGM electronics trans controller. I need a vss signal thats after my abs module. Is there a wire for cruise control or something i can cut and use for my vss signal? Or any signal thats after the abs. Like is there a vss test port on 1996 bronco?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
28,815 Posts
Yo HoustonBronco,
WELCOME!
I believe you can use;
93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass @ 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM... by 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM...

By Ford via Mikey350
□●□
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Bronco! ⚠⚠⚠

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

➡96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

➡96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

➡96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

➡Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site .

See our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. See the prizes!
Al

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo HoustonBronco,
WELCOME!
I believe you can use;
93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass @ 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM... by 93-96 4WABS Control Module CONNECTOR Bypass for PSOM...

View attachment 165761
By Ford via Mikey350
□●□
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Bronco! ⚠⚠⚠

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

➡96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

➡96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

➡96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

➡Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site .

See our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. See the prizes!
Al
Thank you for this information! Ill come back and post what I end up using with pictures. Thanks again miesk5!

·
Super Moderator
28,815 Posts
Yo HoustonBronco,
You are most WELCOME!

I did this too by disconnecting the 4WABS Control Module under ws washer fluid/ coolant recovery tank.
Then I unwrapped harness covering to expose the wires and cut the wires 4 inches away from the coonector, then spliced wires as shown in turboghost's pic.
I used weather resistant in-line (butt) crimp connectors. Covered connector with a surgical glove , leaving small opening facing down.
Tied connector to radiator's neck.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i took the 4wabs connector out and i see the VSS wires (green/black and red/pink) and according to this diagram this orange and blue wire is going to PSOM as the 4wabs signal output. I need to know if the 4wabs out is a VSS high signal or not. I plan on cutting it and plugging my trans controller into that. It also seems like there should be another speed out on it and if thats a vss out that would be better.

·
Super Moderator
28,815 Posts
Yo Houston,
Do you have any information from the HGM about what the High Signal is?

This may help you;
In 92 through 96, the rear axle mounted VSS provides a 72,900 to 86,900 pulses per mile signal via the 4WABS module to the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM) aka Speedometer/Odometer;
PSOM then converts this signal to 8,000 pulses per mile.
The correct PSOM vehicle speed signal to the PCM is an AC square wave that rises to 5 volts positive and drops back to 3 volts negative, with a frequency of about 120 Hz at 60 mph.
The sloping tops and bottoms on the waveform are normal, and don’t indicate a problem in the circuit..."
That signal is sent out to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) aka Computer or Electronic Engine Control (EEC) that controls the shifting of the Electronic 4-Speed Overdrive Transmission (E4OD) if equipped, and then to:
speed control amplifier, if equipped;
and overhead consoles compass/outside temperature display module, if equipped.
Overhead console module uses the PSOM signal to estimate the accuracy of the outside temperature sensor that uses a high-speed counter to monitor vehicle speed to determine whether engine heat is causing erroneous readings.

My guess is High Signal is; 72,900 to 86,900 pulses per mile signal.

whadda think?

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the information! I think this is good. Ill give them a call and see what they say about the high signal and if it needs to be 76k or so pulses or if it can work with 8k pulses. Also is the signal converted to 8k at the antilock module then pushed to the PSOM or is the signal of 76k pulses sent to the PSOM on the O/LB wire where it is then converted in the controller?
Ill call them and let you know. Also im not using the PSOM i have new gauges and my HGM controller has speed outs on it for my gauge it just needs a signal from vss. Im trying to make it so my abs works with the controller.

·
Super Moderator
28,815 Posts
Yo,
YW!
You may Be the first on the block to post up HGM controller

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo,
YW!
You may Be the first on the block to post up HGM controller
Yeah i couldnt find any info about it really. The tricky part is getting it to work with abs. Its also a bit more expensive. Ill get it in there and post a review here on how it works. I also called them today and they told me i just need a vss signal 76k or 8k pulses. They told me to look for the rabs test port but i have 4wabs so idk if theres a vss signal on my test port.
Overall quality of the unit and wiring harness are very good. All weather pack connectors and it works with my transfer case lowrange plus its got a cool red color to it so thats a plus:LOL:.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question is why didn't ford add a RABs test port on the 1996 bronco. That's all I need. I just need a VSS signal and the test port has it. Does anyone know if any of the test ports under the dash are for testing the VSS???

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Look at the schematics that Miesk5 has posted, pin 7 on the PSOM is the VSS signal (digital) that is sent to the PCM. It is the 8K/mile signal. The PSOM receives the analogue VSS signal from the rear axle sensor and digitizes it.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look at the schematics that Miesk5 has posted, pin 7 on the PSOM is the VSS signal (digital) that is sent to the PCM. It is the 8K/mile signal. The PSOM receives the analogue VSS signal from the rear axle sensor and digitizes it.
Yeah i decided to use the grey/black wire that goes to the cruise control. Im almost done wiring everything in and will post the results of the trans controller test here.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So everything is wired in and the controller works. I have yet to test if the cruise control wire works as the vss signal yet but the controller works and all the signals and everything including the in dash 4x4 and 4 low buttons work. Controller shows a lot of parameters and its bluetooth which is pretty cool. The faults are just the control cant see the proflo 4 unit as its not connected to the ignition or power yet causing it to go into fail safe mode.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so update here. The cruise control signal does not work. And shows up as the car driving only 2mph causing it not to shift. So i cut into the orange/light blue wire that goes from 4wabs to psom which worked BUTTTT. Psom decided it wanted to warm itself up and almost burst into flames. Not sure why but it did not like being plugged in without a vss signal. So if you do what i did just unplug the psom before driving around just to be safe. (It was probably like a ground issue or something idk) 😂😂 also heres the diagram i used.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For your '96, you should be using this schematic, which is from the '96 EVTM. It is pretty much the same, EXCEPT for the PCM connections (the '96 has a different PCM than the schematic above).

1996 Ford Bronco '96 EVTM picture | SuperMotors.net
Thanks i dont think the new picture would have changed which wires i tested but its good to have the actual diagram for future reference!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts