Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I've read all the posts about this POS guage, and realize that to get an accurate reading, i'll need to install a mechanical one. But I would like to know, on my 88 351 where I can find the electrical connections to the factory guage, I read in someone post about the guage problem that the connector was the issue for them. I looked in my haynes, and cannot find any info about the sending unit at all. Also I have a minor valve cover gasket leak that needs to be addressed and am wondering if I seafoam the oil to free up the oil pickup screen from sludge blockage, will I worsen my oil leak problem. Thanks in advance......

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
And there's noting wrong with electric gauges, they work just as good as mechanical and won't leak oil all over your carpet.

The oil pressure sender should be near the oil filter. It'll look like a small can with a connector sticking out the end.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oil pressure sender may be bad.. a small leak from the valve covers won't affect pressure.. but remember, the factory gauge is just a glorified idiot light.. it can show normal pressure at just 4 PSI.. replace the senderfirst, its cheap and easy.. if still bouncing, then it could be the oil pump still cheap DIY but definitely not easy.. do NOT go to a Hi-Vol or Hi-Press oil pump.. stick with stock..

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
lobo
It's 6psi nominal.

The oil pressure switch is beside the steering pump. You can get to it from under the truck. I recommend buying some 3/8" plumbing to move it out from the block, and converting to a real sender. IIRC, it takes a 2" nipple & a 45°. Then you pull the cluster & solder a jumper wire across the resistor for the oil gauge.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Larston said:
And there's noting wrong with electric gauges, they work just as good as mechanical and won't leak oil all over your carpet.
1. No electric gauge is as acurate as a mechanical.

2. My 72 C-10 came with a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it has never leaked. Nor have any of my aftermarket mechanical gauges.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input

I've read the suggestions, but am still at a loss for how to proceed from here. I've got a Bronco ll that I've been using since I posted this thread, but I want my fullsize back. Should I just install a mechanical guage and see what it reveals, or seafoam it hoping that the oil pump pickup is partially blocked with sludge, or install a new stock sender, or install a different sender as Steve 83 suggests to make it a more accurate guage? Also if Steve 83's suggestion is the best, is there a writeup or tech install post that will walk me through both selecting the right model year sender setup, and the actual install? I have three days of 50 degree weather coming up, and would like to take advantage of that!
Thanks in advance guys:whiteflag

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
88RED351 said:
I've read the suggestions, but am still at a loss for how to proceed from here. I've got a Bronco ll that I've been using since I posted this thread, but I want my fullsize back. Should I just install a mechanical guage and see what it reveals, or seafoam it hoping that the oil pump pickup is partially blocked with sludge, or install a new stock sender, or install a different sender as Steve 83 suggests to make it a more accurate guage? Also if Steve 83's suggestion is the best, is there a writeup or tech install post that will walk me through both selecting the right model year sender setup, and the actual install? I have three days of 50 degree weather coming up, and would like to take advantage of that!
Thanks in advance guys:whiteflag
Why not keep both mechanical and electrical gauges

I use one to check the other. It'll cost you about $3.00 to retain both in nipples from Home Depot;

Read all the captions under the pics in the write up here;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=22156#content

Sixlitre

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
That won't exactly work on '87-up V8s because they don't have that factory hex extension tube at the bottom of the photo. Their OE pressure switch is small enough to screw straight into the block. So you have to add an extension from the hardware store before you can put the earlier pressure sender on. You could probably use a close nipple & the plumbing Tee, with the hard line on top & the sender on the side, but the PS pump is pretty close. A 2" nipple with a 45° union will clear it easily - then you can put the sender or the Tee & hard line.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm Really Confused!

After reading everyones input on the subject, I bought a mechanical guage and was ready to install. I decided to go with Steve 83's suggestion and get a older style sender to compare factory pressure versus mechanical. I called NAPA for availability on the older sender and they have one. I then asked about the fake sender part number and they said that there are two part numbers, one for the light and one for the guage, one is a sender the other a switch. I can see the fake sender next to my oil filter, is there something else? It looks like this will be the last 45 degree day for awhile, and would like to jump on this soon, so please send feedback. Thanks in advance:doh0715:

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
88RED351 said:
After reading everyones input on the subject, I bought a mechanical guage and was ready to install. I decided to go with Steve 83's suggestion and get a older style sender to compare factory pressure versus mechanical. I called NAPA for availability on the older sender and they have one. I then asked about the fake sender part number and they said that there are two part numbers, one for the light and one for the guage, one is a sender the other a switch. I can see the fake sender next to my oil filter, is there something else? It looks like this will be the last 45 degree day for awhile, and would like to jump on this soon, so please send feedback. Thanks in advance:doh0715:
88RED351

They all have the same pipe thread. Get out there, while it's warm, and install the T fitting the way Steve says you need to. After that thread in a block off plug so you can install the correct sender anytime later.

All this stuff is availale at any big plumbing store, like Home Depot. I bought 4 sizes of male/male nipples and all kinds of stuff I didn't need and returned most of it after I was done.

Zat help ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Six and Steve, I just think that I was having a mental block about the two stock part numbers. I've calmed down, gathered my thoughts, and will proceed with the upgrade. I lost my weather window of opportunity, but have taken off the electrical connector from the stock sender, cleaned up both contacts and all is looking normal again. I'll do the upgrade this weekend when I have access to a warm garage at my part time job. Thanks again.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts