Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1995 Eddie Bauer. Driving it home it wandered a little. Then I had a 2" lift put on. They installed an add a leaf in the back and a spacer under the front coil spring. I put 32" tires along with all new Moog tie rods and idler arm. It wanders from left to right and wondered what I could to reduce the problem. Right now my wife won't drive because it's all over the road. Will a stabalizer help? How about a longer radius arm. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
160 Posts
:thumbupA stabalizer will help mine is still all over check tire psi and the center bushings on the ttb for wear. changen mine in the spring to cold out now

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Stabilizers do nothing but possibly mask a problem. You are going to have to find the cause of the wander regardless. Is the truck hard to control or does the steering have excessive play in it?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,180 Posts
Have you had it aligned since the lift & parts replacement?

Have someone move the wheel back & forth, while you look with a flashlight, for play in all the steering components from the firewall on down to the wheels. Also, check for movement between the steering box & the frame too.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,180 Posts
Play in the wheel usually means something further down is loose. Have someone turn the wheel back & forth (Just the amount of the play) while you look under the hood & under the truck. Look at the rag joint. If the column above it moves more than it does below the it, then replace the rag joint.

If the column moves the same above & below the joint, then look at the steering box. If the column above turns some before the shaft below moves, then the box is the problem. Make sure the box doesn't move on the frame too.

Continue the process on down until you find where the slop is located.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The crossmember rivet nearest the steering box can get loose, too.

How are the ball joints and wheel bearings?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts