Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they sell a 3 in body lift for broncos for like 90 dollars online. i already ordered mine . just waiting for it to get a little ( not so damn cold) outside to put it in.
i was wondering if you could go bigger than a 3 in body lift
i heard its not safe. did anyone ever do it. can it be done. any ideas. comments let me know
thanks a lot, jason:banghead

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You can do what ever you want. It's not a matter of safety rather a matter of farking around with more stuff, like raising your bumpers to match up with your body. I went 4" on my 86, and didn't bother raising the bumpers, at first, then it got to me about how stupid it looked. Your centre of gravity stays low, which is safer than a suspension lift but IMO just doesn't look as good as the suspension lift. But for the price, it is good.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Why would you want to? honestly if you want a lift you can scour this board and find one. for 110 bucks more than you have spent already. alot of people sell 4 inch lifts on here for 200 or so.

ken

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
waltman said:
You can do what ever you want. It's not a matter of safety rather a matter of farking around with more stuff, like raising your bumpers to match up with your body. I went 4" on my 86, and didn't bother raising the bumpers, at first, then it got to me about how stupid it looked. Your centre of gravity stays low, which is safer than a suspension lift but IMO just doesn't look as good as the suspension lift. But for the price, it is good.
It isn't safe, which is why you will never find a kit made out there to do this. Everything is attached to the frame, body included. Ideally you want the body to remain nice and close to the frame only space is for allowing mounts to absorb road vibrations. If you want more height, the way to go about it is through a suspension lift.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
That "snowbeast" bronco had a 4" body lift. I dont really think that rig saw a lot of offroad time either.

Dont do anymore than 3. 3 is too much imo. The gap(even with the gap guards) looks gay.

Your rig, not mine. Do what you want.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Shadofax said:
It isn't safe, which is why you will never find a kit made out there to do this. Everything is attached to the frame, body included. Ideally you want the body to remain nice and close to the frame only space is for allowing mounts to absorb road vibrations. If you want more height, the way to go about it is through a suspension lift.
Sure it's safer. Explain to me how it isn't safe. By raising the body only, you are maintaining a lower centre of gravity compared to a truck with the suspension lift, which raises everything, including the centre of gravity. The main reason you want or I want a suspension lift is it looks better. I just think it looks stupid to see this large gap between the frame and the body.

More than likely, the reason you wont find a kit that will raise it more than 3" is that that is the max lift without having to do major mods to make it work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The aftermarket companyies say its not safe to cover their asses. body lifts keep your center of gravity low. However, If you roll a lifted Bronco in say California, a good lawyer will be able to pin it on the 4 inch bodylift.

Build your own kit, use steel tubing, cap the ends and weld in tubes for the body mount bolts. finally weld the spacers (towers) to the frame and gusset them. If you cant weld for crap, some people cant, not even me, dont try this.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
James Duff
Body Lift Basics:
We avoided body lifts for years, mostly because of safety issues. We've seen too many unsafe and improperly installed kits.

another forum:
The body lift itself can increase leverage on body mounts causing potential failures in accidents and other high-loading situations.

I think the accident scenario may have some merit...the more you remove the body from frame. But generally speaking I don't think this is a good idea to go creating your own body lift kit more than 3". Stick with a properly manuf. 3" kit or less.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I personally wouldn't want my boddy teetering on big ass spacers. If you wanted to go big body lift then the way I'd do it would be to fabricate taller body brackets and gusset them to the top of the frame and then use some stock rubber replacement bushings so the body can still flex and not cause as much stress on the mounts you made. However after you did all this you'd be wishing you went with a suspension lift to start with. If you want to do a body lift I'd just stick with what's available: 2 or 3" lift kits. Why do you want so much body lift? Is it a street truck? Why not keep it low and cut the fenders instead. There's a whole slew of options.

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imlikeojnow said:
Why would you want to? honestly if you want a lift you can scour this board and find one. for 110 bucks more than you have spent already. alot of people sell 4 inch lifts on here for 200 or so.

ken
i already have a 4 inch lift . i just wanted and idea about the body lift im planning on doing it next. just wanted to see if i could go bigger than 3 inches

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigNorm said:
I personally wouldn't want my boddy teetering on big ass spacers. If you wanted to go big body lift then the way I'd do it would be to fabricate taller body brackets and gusset them to the top of the frame and then use some stock rubber replacement bushings so the body can still flex and not cause as much stress on the mounts you made. However after you did all this you'd be wishing you went with a suspension lift to start with. If you want to do a body lift I'd just stick with what's available: 2 or 3" lift kits. Why do you want so much body lift? Is it a street truck? Why not keep it low and cut the fenders instead. There's a whole slew of options.
i have a 4 in suspension already. I wanted to go bigger. So ive benn told to go the bodyt lift. Said it was the next step
I have a roll pan for a back bumper and im sure i can fabricate something for the front bumper to line up with the body. WHat kinda upgrade is there with a 4 inch suspension lift without changin a whole bunch or crap.

Heres my bronco i wanna do this to

·
Registered
89 bronco. Dana 60 SAS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 38.5 gumbo monster mudder tires on it . i just wanna go taller cause i think it would look a little better.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Put on the 3in body you already have place a 2in daystar coil spacering under the front coils (or get a set of 6in used for cheap) and mount the TTB into the 6in holes. For the rear just an AAL or do a shackle flip you'll end up with 9in or so and it'll be tall enough. (But have fun breaking stuff with those gumbos)

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
So the issue on safety is that someone will mickey mouse the instalation. I am saying if it is done right it is safer because of the weight transfer issue. When I did my 4" body lift, I made my own spacers went to a grade 8 bolt, I'm pretty sure I went to a larger diameter as well. It took me the weekend to do it but I would have bet anything t would have lasted for the life of the Bronco. Unfortunately it's life ended about a year or so later when I rolled it. Not one mount broke though and it rolled a few times with an endo thrown in for good measure.

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
litle pimp said:
WHat kinda upgrade is there with a 4 inch suspension lift without changin a whole bunch or crap.
Generally speaking, going taller with a 4" lift is super easy. The TTB pivot drop brackets you are running now most likely have holes for both a 4" and a 6" lift in them. All you need is to swap in 6" lift coils & shocks and drop the pivots down to the next hole. As for the rear, when I went from 4" to 6" I removed my 2" add-a-leaf and put in a Sky shackle flip instead. Lots of guys have gone this route and it works well.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
litle pimp said:
i have a 4 in suspension already. I wanted to go bigger. So ive benn told to go the bodyt lift. Said it was the next step
I have a roll pan for a back bumper and im sure i can fabricate something for the front bumper to line up with the body. WHat kinda upgrade is there with a 4 inch suspension lift without changin a whole bunch or crap.

Heres my bronco i wanna do this to
I'd leave it alone. It looks sweet now. Skyjackers suck. Keep it low and functional. If you're dying to do something then save your pennies for one ton axles and a SAS to support those 38s. Take it wheeling! It looks awsome.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
most states limit body lifts to 3" when i was pulled over in sacramento they did measure. most state dot books show 3" is the max a body can be lifted above the frame. with the poly mounts i got 4" what saved me was the actual body lift was only 3". i seen 4" and 6" body lifts but if stopped you will have to fix it to get the ticket cleared.........mike
i got a 3" body lift and 1" poly mount and a shackle flip with 4" lowering shackles and 6" lift springs in the rear and 8" upfront

1 - 17 of 17 Posts