Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whast up guys, just curious ive read thoughout the forums that bassani is really good, but is it worth that extra money? i priced a Bassani Ceramic Header and stainless y-pipe w/ cat for about $950 with free shipping. are they that much better than say BBK or Gibson or any others? cuz if they are i wont have a problem spending that much money if they are worth it.. i told someone i was looking to spend about $1400 for exhaust and they said i was crazy and go with bassani... yet its ALMOST THE SAME PRICE... 950 without muffler or tail pipe or labor hahaha. but would you guys spend the extra money to get bassani? oh and the models i was looking at are..... 58150BC - headers and 58150B3 - Y pipe

and has anyone heard of http://www.autoanything.com its sooo much cheaper then the performancepedder website! has anyone used it?

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
199 Posts
bassani is a great company and a lot of guys on here have them and love them. Gibson and BBK are very good brands as well and again, a lot of guys on here are running THOSE. Search the website, search google and do research. This topic has been covered MANY times and the guys just goin to tell you the same thing as they always do on numerious threads before but the FLAMING gets harsher. Good luck and have a good week.

:popc1:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did some research, maybe i accidently looked over some of the posts comparing the price and other stuff, but i searched the models, prices and just wanted an opinion.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had a set of nickle plated Gibsons, they worked OK for a while but the way I use my truck they just wern't up to the task. They leaked like crazy no matter what gaskets I used. I bit the bullet and bought the ceramic coated Bassani's and haven't had a leak yet. They are diffenently worth the extra money. I say go for. Buy the best first and only cry once.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
There is hardly any difference between the big name headers. Its all what you want. The best brands are Bassani, JBA, Edelbrock, BBK and some others, its just what you want to get. Some have advantages over each other, so do some research, theres a lot of header threads. I wouldnt say the majority of the people are even running Bassani headers, its pretty split on what everyone is running.

Also, the Bassani Y-pipe is pretty much your only option. You can go the catco route with a 302, but since you have the 351, Bassani is pretty much your only option and that is why you see almost everyone who upgrades their y-pipe running that one. I run the Bassani Y-pipe, and i love it.

Oh, an ive been ordering from autoanything.com for a while. I use them, truckperformance.com and summitracing.com for everything. I got my Bassani Y-pipe for REAL cheap from autoanything, Ive always had good experience with them. Enter this coupon: SC77934 and get 10 bucks off at autoanything.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Get better sources on just the Bassani Y-pipe

(E-bay, etc) and then buy everything else yersef'. Like Bonzai says you 351 guys are out of luck on the Catco.

You can always build your own Y-pipe, like I did. Ain't no flies on this;

Sixlitre

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,857 Posts
the BBK headers have a larger collector compared to the bassani. Gacknar is running BBK on his 357 build along with the bassani X pipe setup from a lightning. just remember you do get what you pay for in regards to your exhaust. I myself will be running JBA headers, bassani y pipe (offroad) and aerochamber muffler along with the maromount 3" tail pipe from the zone. then get it all welded up.should be into it for less then $400.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I would say headers are all about opinion, but Bassani is where its at for the y-pipe.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Their Y-pipe is overpriced. It's just a couple of bends, flanges, and a Y held together with some welds done too quick. I had to tweak mine to get it to aim straight back, otherwise it'd be pointing toward the transfer case.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Personally I would pay for the headers and go JBA or Bassani but as for the down tubes back I would have them custom made. Will cost you around the same and you will probably be happier with it.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Their Y-pipe is overpriced. It's just a couple of bends, flanges, and a Y held together with some welds done too quick. I had to tweak mine to get it to aim straight back, otherwise it'd be pointing toward the transfer case.
You got a good point SigEpBlue

Seeing as you buy the 2 into 1 collector in the pic (less than $40.00) and the flares ends ($11.00 each), all you're left with is a less than 90 degree bent pipe on the passenger's side. Then a pipe with two 90s on the driver's side.

Some prick, who'd done it before (like me:D), should carefully measure the two pipes and draw a diagram showing roughly how long they are, where the bends are and what degree they are.

Sure would make it easy to order three mandrel bent 90s from Walker or someone and fit it together theyz sef':toothless

You kin' even get them 90s where one slides into the other and thay way y'all could tack em' or run a screw through until yuh got her back down to weld on up fully;)

Might save people a bundle !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Another thing the bassani y includes that your custom one doesn't though, is the tube for the 02 sensor that goes across as seen in this pic:

Also, there was the AIR tube that came on the Bassani one as well. Im sure that would be fairly easy for you to add though? IIRC, you had the Flowmaster Y section too?

If i was capable i might have chose to make one myself, but i cant even weld, so the bassani y was my only option. A shop was gonna charge me more for a custom one than for how cheap I got my bassani y for.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Why do you guys go for the Y-pipe and not true duals with the x-over? :scratchhe

·
Registered
402 Posts
From what I've read, going true duals just isn't worth it in our trucks unless you get some really crazy engine mods going on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure about that. :D

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Why do you guys go for the Y-pipe and not true duals with the x-over? :scratchhe
#1.) Transfer case

#2.) ground clearance

#3.) Loss of low end torque for a couple of un-needed higher end hp

#4.) Two mufflers to buy instead of one, two tailpipes to buy and replace each time they're crushed off road. Two cats to buy (and replace when the get crushed). Two connecting pipes to fabricate and replace (when they get crushed offroading).

In other words added parts expenses for nothing (knowing that a large mandrel bent single system out-torques a dual system EVERY time).

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
IIRC, you had the Flowmaster Y section too?

If i was capable i might have chose to make one myself, but i cant even weld, so the bassani y was my only option. A shop was gonna charge me more for a custom one than for how cheap I got my bassani y for.
Yes, that's right

It's the collector Y ($40.00) that the headpipes are welded to in the upper pic;

Money very well spent IMO, for taking you from 2 1/4" headpipes out to 3" pipe beautifully and with vastly improved flow.

Just one look down the pipe, where it splits and you can see how they can claim the huge torque increases;

Here's an even better shot on my Lincoln Town Car;

Just so you know I don't weld either. Everything I do depends on getting it mocked up and pinned or fastened to allow me to take it down and take it to my welding buddies or my welding neighbour, now that middle brother, the one who welds lives 350 miles North of me:cry

Sixlitre

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
#1.) Transfer case

#2.) ground clearance

#3.) Loss of low end torque for a couple of un-needed higher end hp

#4.) Two mufflers to buy instead of one, two tailpipes to buy and replace each time they're crushed off road. Two cats to buy (and replace when the get crushed). Two connecting pipes to fabricate and replace (when they get crushed offroading).

In other words added parts expenses for nothing (knowing that a large mandrel bent single system out-torques a dual system EVERY time).

Sixlitre

Thanks for the explanation Six, I've always been so Power focused that I didn't think of the Torque aspect. Didn't realize it made that much difference in Torque dropoff.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You get what you pay for. :usa
Quality and R&D cost money.
My experience Gibson is good, Bassani is better. My complete Bassani on my Bronco was easier to install than the Gibson Catback, I put on my wifes E 350 Clubwagon.
By the way both catbacks were the same price and the Bassani is stainless.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Space, Clearance, a fitted look, SS and easy install.

My Bassani 58150BC Headers, Bassani 58150B3 Y-Pipe w/Cat, Bassani 58150B5 Aft-Cat (3" single to a 3" IN/OUT Bassani High Flow Muffler then to a 3" pipe exiting over the axle and behind the R/R wheel).

The whole unit has space, clearance, fit and was a straight foreward install with no welding and only a couple of broken manifold bolts.

$490.00 - Bassani SS Headers #58150BC
$375.00 - Bassani SS Y-Pipe w/Cat #58150B3
$440.00 - Bassani SS Aft-Cat #58150B5
-------------------------------------
$1305.00 parts

The lifetime Bassani warranty on the all stainless parts is a great deal, as well.

All Bassani parts are high quality. I love the sound of the 3" Bassani SS highflow muffler over my pre-existing 2 1/4" Flowmaster. The complete Bassani system works great, is an easy install and fits perfectly under my truck with no ground clearance issues.

You could save money and have fun mixing, matching and fabricating parts, but this could end up as a significant time investment in problem solving.

But for my on/off road daily driver, the complete Bassani SS system was a great option.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts