Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a rebuilt 302 installed and noticed that when the engine is cold (I mean seriously cold; its been bad in the northeast lately) I hear a whine. At first I thought it could be the power steering but the sound doesnt change when I crank the steering wheel. Once the engine is warm it disappears.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
NJB

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Where does it seem to be coming from, The front, back, internal???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hrmm... well the beast had about 130k on it before I had the TC and engine rebuilt.. the tranny seems to make sense.

The tranny shop gave it a clean bill of health when they dropped the pan but it prolly wasnt 5 degrees when they checked it out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Remove the belt/belts from the front of the engine,start the engine cold,if the whine is gone,then it is coming from one of the belt driven componants.If the noise is still there, put the belts back on,then use piece of heater hose or garden hose with one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine/transmission to try to locate where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give that a try. I am new to this and never heard of that trick to isolate the location of sounds.

Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
njbuck said:
I just had a rebuilt 302 installed and noticed that when the engine is cold (I mean seriously cold; its been bad in the northeast lately) I hear a whine.

I'm not sure where you live. I am in Montana. We've had a pretty mild winter, two cold spells of below zero, in December and last week. All my fords whine when it is 10 below or more, the 2003 expedition, and the Broncos. Doesn't seem to bother the neon. The expedition's power seat really complains when it is cold. Sounds terrible but every Ford I've had has been cold blooded and complaining in cold weather. I just take it as the nature of the beast. Good advice in this thread for isolating noises though.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yep, garden hoses make great automotive stethoscopes. Mine whines like no other for about 3-4 seconds right when I first fire it up (has to be below 40 degrees) and then the whine goes right away... fairly sure its the power steering pump.

Sorry, not to hijack, but whats the best way to flush out the P/S? take a hose off and crank it over and keep adding some until it comes out looking new, or is there an easier way?

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
Yep, garden hoses make great automotive stethoscopes. Mine whines like no other for about 3-4 seconds right when I first fire it up (has to be below 40 degrees) and then the whine goes right away... fairly sure its the power steering pump.

Sorry, not to hijack, but whats the best way to flush out the P/S? take a hose off and crank it over and keep adding some until it comes out looking new, or is there an easier way?
I use a turkey baster (sp?) to suck out as much as possible and then refill with fresh Mercon. Do this a few times over the week and you get most changed till nice and red. Only takes a few minutes.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 9 of 9 Posts