Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its easy!

So i just got a neighbor that moved in from the New Zeland Area and he says poeple down there have been doing this for years now.

It looks likt it can work easily and it can be done at home, i should be doing my Bronco in the next 6 months or so after this guy completly moves in.

But don't let me try and explain it, check this out...

www.waterpoweredcar.com
www.hydrogen-boost.com

Vehicle Mileage Improvement

Geo Metro - 75.0 mpg hwy. - 50%
Dodge Dakota - 22.5 mpg hwy. - 50%
Nissan Pathfinder - 28 mpg hwy. - 56%
Plymouth Neon - 55.1 mpg hwy. - 57%
Hyundai Excel - 52 mpg hwy. - 58%
Saab 9000 Turbo - 44 mpg hwy. - 60%
Hyundai Excel - 45 mpg city - 80%
Plymouth Neon - 58.8 mpg city - 103%
Saab 9000 Turbo - 40 mpg city - 168%

This alone shows it would be worth it to use in our bronco's...
Let me try to explain that we are going to run out big V8's off these water hydrogen boosters. they are easy to make at home for like $40 and if you put 2 or 3 in your truck you could get about 100-120 MPG! wow would that save money!

I dont understand how this all works out to well, i only have been reading out it for about a week and its complex. just tell me what you guys think because i'm confused yet excited to get one!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well..um..before you get flamed..the princeple of this is that when you run electricity through water (not going to get into the specifics) it seperates the oxygen and hydrogen. You can then burn this hydrogen in your engine as fuel.

A carbed engine will run off of hydrogen my simply turning off the gasoline, and allowing the engine to "breathe" the hyrdogen through the air intake.

The problem is that you consume hyrdogen faster than you can produce it.

I also think they did a thing on mythbusters on this.

If you really want to save on gas, use some microscopic platinum in your gasoline.

·
"Clever User Title Here"
2,155 Posts
As always, I am VERY skeptical of anything that claims increases like that. Plus the little salesman/commission line at the end of the hydrogen-boost webpage seems fishy.

But, best of luck, keep us updated.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
humm i see what you both are saying, but i think it will work! once i get it going i'll let you guys know

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
If it actually worked, we'd all be doing it yesterday.

BTW, it's called electrolysis. It consumes more energy than you get from the hydrogen released.

Also, if we really truly wanted better fuel economy, we wouldn't be driving FSB's.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh no no no, i agree with all you saying "Dont drive a big bronco" this is why i might sell my truck but instead i got a Scooter...
Anyways the way i see it, is why not try it? if it works i will be getting better MPG then anything on the street and i can use all the money i save to put into my truck ie: Lift, Tires, Lights, you know everything!

·
Registered
610 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
humm i see what you both are saying, but i think it will work! once i get it going i'll let you guys know
to speak theoretically on this. if you wanted it to "work" you would have to have a setup of over at least a dozen of these all producing at the same time to MAYBE keep up enough production to use what you are burning. If you were to do this in larger scale at home and fill up a gas tank of hydrogen and drive around on that..it might get you a few miles or so. Converting water to hydrogen and oxygen with current methods does not produce the volume needed to run an automobile.. check this link out..they actually had a generator running..but used like 13 5 gallon buckets...

http://www.netmar.com/~maat/archive/watercar/h20car2.htm

like i said, theoretically possible...but in no way real world practical

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what your saying is that its not producing enough hydrogen for cars esp a big V8?

·
Registered
961 Posts
well you do it, and if you do get dramatic mpg tells us about it. Oh and do a write up and take pics while you are doing it so we can all do it. I am very skeptical about double milage but even a 5-10 mpg increase would be crazy, especially for these very hungry trucks!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THis is a true statment, even if i got 5 MPG better it would make a huge difference for the big trucks...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i could see this work, i have heard of it working before. As far as mythbusters,i usually believe what they say but i'm telling you my neighbor is a scientist and he is doing it to his Jeep then to my bronco and then i'll laugh at you all! lol

·
Registered
610 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
so what your saying is that its not producing enough hydrogen for cars esp a big V8?
Yes with current methods, you could not run a large v8. You could maybe get away with this in a little CRX or golf cart. Also to make large quantities of hydrogen "quickly you would most likley need gold salts or maybe just potasium chloride instead of sodium chloried as the electrolite (need something more reactive to speed up the reaction). but um.. i'm not a chemist so i couldnt tell you exactly which would be best.

IF you're bored and want to experiment around with this...by all means do so. even if you end up running a go cart off it, it would still be cool to do. Just be safe. hydrogen is highly combustible (hindenburg)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've heard, my neighbor should be setting up his lab sometime this month and we will check out alot of stuff. i'm thinking it will work with small I-4 or even I-6 but a v8 will work just not as well. well just have to see

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
i'm telling you my neighbor is a scientist and he is doing it to his Jeep then to my bronco and then i'll laugh at you all!
If he is a good scientist then he will rather quickly find out that you just cant generate enough hydrogen for there to be any change whatsoever. The amount generated is barely even measurable over a short time peried. (say a minut or so)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts