Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dana 44 front axle from a Jeep that is 6 on 5.5. I want to convert to 5 on 5.5. Does anyone have any information on what exactly to buy? Thanks. -Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
JOKER4INK said:
I have a Dana 44 front axle from a Jeep that is 6 on 5.5. I want to convert to 5 on 5.5. Does anyone have any information on what exactly to buy? Thanks. -Steve
What year Jeep axle?
WHat is it out of? (Wide track or not)
Why do you want this under a Ford? (Or just looking)

Next: Easy or Cheap?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The axle is out of an 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with disk brakes. I am putting it under my Jeep Wrangler that has an AMC 360 with a Ford T18 and NP205. I have a full floating Dana 44 rear that is 5 on 5.5, so I need to make the front match it. I am not looking to spend alot. I am looking to buy used parts (except for bearings/seals etc). So, easy and cheap if possible lol

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
JOKER4INK said:
The axle is out of an 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with disk brakes. I am putting it under my Jeep Wrangler that has an AMC 360 with a Ford T18 and NP205. I have a full floating Dana 44 rear that is 5 on 5.5, so I need to make the front match it. I am not looking to spend alot. I am looking to buy used parts (except for bearings/seals etc). So, easy and cheap if possible lol
IM not a fan of wranglers but that sounds sick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is getting there. I scrapped the leafs and am now running a long-arm coil conversion too. The rear axle is all set up (geared, locked, chromoly shafts, full-float) and has all the brackets welded up and is installed. In order to complete the front install, I need to get the lug patterns to match. So that brings me back to my original question. What Ford Dana 44 parts would I need to use to get it to 5 on 5.5?

·
Registered
236 Posts
JOKER4INK said:
The axle is out of an 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with disk brakes. I am putting it under my Jeep Wrangler
So, easy and cheap if possible lol
Want, or ever want Flat tops? (Extra $50-100 with out arms)
Driven on highway? or trail only?

Edit Check my site for some info: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
All you need are some chevy small bearing spindles and some ford D44 rotors. You should be able to obtain that stuff for less than $100.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hum, ya, I thought I read somewhere that the later model Waggy's had the big bearing spindles, but maybe that was the Chevy D44's.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Small Spindels only came on Flat top knuckels! So 73-77.5
All Dana 44's for Chevy and Jeep have large spindels for and after 1977.

JOKER4INK,

Typical answer to your issue:
73-76 Chevy or FSJ Spindles. (used $40-70 a pair)
- (Keep your outer stub axle shaft)
76-79 Ford Hub and rotor. (used $20-60 a pair)

If you want a cheaper solution, and are willing to experment we've other options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your guys help. I also checked with www.partsmikeparts.com. What I need to locate is a set of small bearing spindles from a 74-75 Jeep or 72-76.5 Chevy 1/2 ton. Then I need a Ford hub and rotor with bearing from a 76-86 Bronco. I still have those crappy automatic lockouts on my Waggy 44, so I need manual locking hubs too. Does anyone know a good source of those parts? Will I be missing washers, clips or anything else? Also, do I need a Ford outter knuckle or stub shaft? I want to still use the Jeep/Chevy calipers.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you buy new hubs the clips and washers should come with them. You can reuse your Jeep stub shafts and calipers.

You can source the parts from a junkyard or buy them new. If you look you can almost buy new for the same price as stuff from a yard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.