Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just installed a Surco roof rack/safari basket on the hard top of my 1991 Bronco. It is 45 x 50 and fits on the hard top only. I also had to get the roof rails and brackets. If I remember correctly the total came to around $250 to $300. I got 4WPW to come down off of their prices by having lower prices on the items from an Ebay store. (I have since noticed that the store is no longer in operation, at least not on Ebay).
I like it and it fits nicely on the hard top only, which will allow you to still take off the hard top. Next up is mounting my full size spare there.
I do not currently have any pics but can get some for you if you want.

·
user title
2,842 Posts
I would like to see some pics, too...

I have been looking into the Yakima and Thule (sp?) roof systems. I have a Yakima on my 85; and would like to put one on my 95, now. But for the 95 I am looking into their "track" system. But I don't know if my top can handle all the weight. And if so, where I can put the screws.

I tried putting in the link of the exact site, but Yakima uses Flash, so here is a link to Yakima's Site , then goto products, then rack systems, then Permanent LASTLY tracks.

Just in case you wanted to see it...

:beer
Bill

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,673 Posts
I don't know, that doesn't look like it would hold too much weight.

·
Registered
623 Posts
$175 for the basket, but in order to mount it to the hard top, I also used two roof rails and four of the brackets. The roof rails mount directly to the hard top and require drilling 8 to 10 holes through the hard top. The four brackets then mount to the rails and basket (2 on each side although you could add another one for each side for additional sturdiness).
This size basket sits on the hard top so that there is no overhang. I will get some pics and post them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
O got the surco rack too but I didn't waste the money on the brackets. I drilled and bolted and through the cap. I put wood under my caps headliner. and used some shock bushings from energy suspension to make it level on the outside, plus it sits almost right on the cap for added strength. Pics on my stuperford Page :toothless

·
AKA Joe
1,083 Posts
I went to the junk yard found me a 94 cherokee sport and got the racks for $40 . They fit better on the bronco cap than they did on the cherokee . After that I got thule racks to fit the cherokee and they are perfect , accept now I can't put my board up there it's too high .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a Con-Ferr rack on my 89. They are in the Los Angeles area, and have a web site. I bouth mine through Central 4WD shops for about $400.

Strong rack - I stow (2) full size 31" spares up there when I go wheelin' in Baja!

I've got some pic's on Big Bronco site...try:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&albumid=570

This type rack is removable, but I haven't taken it off in two years! I got rid of my tail gate mounted spare, and bolted it up on the roof rack.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I will try to get some pics taken tomorrow (Sunday) and will post them on Monday when I get to work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.