Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 EFI
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting further along in my 86 bronco and just getting ready to tackle the suspention.

The plan is to keep everything relatively stock height but gonna swap out the springs both front and back with ones that are more heavy duty.

I sourced out the front coil springs I want(SP08135 at O'Reilly's), and I talked with the guy at the counter and he said to get the Skyjacker fr52s for my truck. I looked them up and while they look good and should definitely be better than my old worn out leafs, I want to make sure they're not going to lift my truck too much. It says it allows 1-4 inches of height, but I'm not sure if the ad meant travel distance or if would lift my truck. I'm totally fine with a inch or so above stock brand new, but I don't wanna put these on only to find out I now have raised my truck way too high.

If these would not work out, got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you want your Bronco to look nice, regardless of the actual height, 'stance' is the important thing
Stock they typically have the front 1-2" lower
Take away this bias and the thing sits flat and looks badass

If unsure of the lift the rear will give, put that in first and take a tape measure
The order the correct front spring

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want your Bronco to look nice, regardless of the actual height, 'stance' is the important thing
Stock they typically have the front 1-2" lower
Take away this bias and the thing sits flat and looks badass

If unsure of the lift the rear will give, put that in first and take a tape measure
The order the correct front spring
I agree with you, but I want to make sure the truck isn't lifted too high. If the rear springs lift it 1-2 inches above stock, I'm all good. I can then adjust the fronts to match. I just want to make sure that the springs I found won't literally skyjack my truck.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you get an additional 1-2" from new rear springs PLUS the existing pitch of 1-2" already, you will need front springs 2 - 4" taller to level it out

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get an additional 1-2" from new rear springs PLUS the existing pitch of 1-2" already, you will need front springs 2 - 4" taller to level it out
...... where is the existing pitch coming from? I'm lost now. I just want to know if the springs I found would keep the truck at stock height or if they would raise the rear, if so how much?

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,165 Posts
@AbandonedBronco put new springs on his 85. Here's the thread. He has some info on the previous page, but on page 19 (if they're the same for you) and post 361 and 367 he answers questions about the ride and the height. Post 369 he posts a link to the ones he bought.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
A quick search pulls these leaf springs up as a stock height replacement leaf spring and a HD stock height front coil spring. Im sure there are several sources to buy from

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
@AbandonedBronco put new springs on his 85. Here's the thread. He has some info on the previous page, but on page 19 (if they're the same for you) and post 361 and 367 he answers questions about the ride and the height. Post 369 he posts a link to the ones he bought.
I believe I asked him.

The big thing is to make sure you measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender for height. It’s a guaranteed way to measure suspension without worrying about floor grade, tire pressure, etc.

I was surprised my springs had no sag at 78k miles, and blown shocks.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,769 Posts
Check local as well. Just replaced the rear leafs in my '93 and purchased them from a shop that caters to big trucks/18-wheelers.

They had a pair of Dayton HD progressive springs here in 24-hours. Price was spot on with what I was finding on the internet and I avoided $120 in freight cost. They also bent the u-bolts on site and had all the hardware and shackles.

Shipping leaf springs is not cheap...

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
986 Posts
This summer i called a place recommended to me about getting the front end alignment on my newly acquired & stock height 1986 Bronco straightened out. My camber was way off, top of the tires were towed bad, alignment all jacked up. It was just decades of neglect.from previous owners. The first thing the guy asked was if I had new front springs on it, which I did not, so he said before bringing it in, to replace my front springs, & this will lift the front end spring sag to bring that caster/camber back closer to where it should be. So I ordered some stock height front springs from rock auto & when they came in, out of curiosity I put some painters tape on my fender & marked 35" on the tape. I then put the front springs on & I was amazed to see that it had raised my front end 1 1/2" & my wheels were nearly perfectly straight up & down. I then took it to get aligned & the caster& camber both measured in spec, all they did was adjust the tow, so it was a cheap $55 alignmnet.

So my point is, you probably have a lot of spring sag, & new springs will throw off your caster/camber if the truck has been aligned to the sagging front springs. As far as stance, I did not replace my rear springs, BUT I like how it sits stance wise, because the rear i am sure has sag in it, but it sits nice and level now & I am ok with the height it is. I think if I replace the rear springs, my front will sit too low & the hood just barely fits underneath my lift as it is. Its a multi faceted problem trying to get the stance right, the the alignment set properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.