Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'93 XLT 5.8 E40D Emerald Green
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been away from here for awhile...no issues!

Well I have one now. My '93 is having warm/hot starting issues. Cold starts are easy, 1st or 2nd crank and fires right up. After driving even short distances, she no longer wants to start...floods easily.

Replaced old fuel pressure regulator; runs a little better but did nothing for the starting problem.

What am I looking for and how do I find it, guys?

·
Registered
'93 XLT 5.8 E40D Emerald Green
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, USMC0351! Just ordered one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No problem, hopefully that's the issue. When the problem occurs, you can hold the pedal to the floor while cranking to stop the injectors from firing to see if it starts easier.

·
Super Moderator
29,076 Posts
Yo tygr1,
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Check both battery posts, cables, connectors & GROUNDS for looseness and corrosion. If you see corrosion on a cables' wires strands between connectors or lugs and leading into the insulation, peel back the insulation to see how far back it reaches.
by El Kabong @
"Cheesy clamp on end. Do not use for a long term repair. Only to get you home when nothing else is available. If you have one of these, suspect it before anything else" El Kabong @ Common Replies to FAQs

Check starter relay for looseness or rust to the inner fender. It's ground is through its body to the inner fender.
Check that starter is mounted securely and connectors are clean and tight.

Engine Block pic in a 94 5.8; "...The black battery wire goes from the front bolt of the engine mount (on the block) to this tab & up to the battery post, where a smaller black wire goes to the core support, providing a continuous ground path between the engine, frame, battery, & body..."

Source: by CodysBigBlueBronco (how much $???)

Intake Manifold to Block Strap Location pic in a 96 5.0
Source: by boss (bossind, Steve) at SuperMotors.net

it is between 2nd & 3rd plugs on passenger side

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had an issue like what you describe and it was an injector leaking into the intake port. I used a fuel pressure gauge to record the pressure leaking down over a short time. Through in the rebuilt injectors and the problem went away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts