Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. I pulled a set of warn manual hubs off a 95-96 last time I was at the j/y. I have a 90 with the 3 screw auto hub. Will they work, or do I have to get the adapter for the 3 screw hub?

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you mean 90 with the 5 screws?
also look (or search) for some of the many hub replacement threads
I have searched and read all four of the threads about the swap. what i've found is that if i get the hubs new, i would have to buy an $50 peice from warn that lets me use them with, yes, my 3 screw hubs. i guess my question is how to tell what hubs i have.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
You need to replace the bottom ring in this pic:

with the three things in the top of the pic. That is all that is in the conversion kit and is stock on EVERY other D44 I'm pretty sure. They are on my '93 TTB and my '78 solid AND on the '78 chevy 10-bolt D44 I pulled stuff off of.

When you click the search button and the little window pops up, click advanced search. Then in the top box on the left type "hub". It should say something like "search thread titles" under it already. Click search at the bottom and it will pull up a TON of info. You may have a bit of reading to do but I guarantee you will find out everything to do this.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Monkey4life,

Yes, you need the adapter for an upgrade from 3-screw auto hub to manual hubs.

I believe the 1990 FSB originally came with a 5-screw auto hub (when ordered). And probably yours, as I found mine to be, was upgraded to a 95-96 3-screw version when repaired. This was because the 5-screw was no longer available.

This upgrade to the 3-screw auto hub also changed the wheel bearing lock nut to a one piece with retainer pin, which is too large in diameter for the Warn manual hub. (See the above pic).

Dig around the junk yard, or just order the proper wheel bearing lock nut upgrade for the Warn manual hub and be done with it.

By the way, the Warn manual hub is MUCH easier to remove for maintenance than the 3-screw auto hub with the #@$%*&(*! lock ring!!!

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Or you can get the three pieces above off a D44 in a junkyard and blow that $50 on beer.

You don't need the kit.

EDIT: Read this:

THIS

Proves my point quite nicely.

I searched thread titles for "hub" in the "Tech Write-ups" forum.

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats great!!! i read that one but did not know what he was talking about for the $22 worth of parts. now i do!! thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
445 Posts
i have converted a 93 bronco and 87 f150 from auto to manual with all my old parts off my other trucks. all those conversion kits are rips, imo. the only things they are good for i can see would be new parts. that also goes with the 87 one peice manual hub kits also.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
thats great!!! i read that one but did not know what he was talking about for the $22 worth of parts. now i do!! thanks for the info guys!
You could go back to the j/y and get all 4 of those parts (the three lock pieces and the outer snapring) from the rig you got the hubs from. Put em in your pocket, or if you're like me and would feel guilty, ask 'em how much they want. They would most likely say just take 'em.

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
You could go back to the j/y and get all 4 of those parts (the three lock pieces and the outer snapring) from the rig you got the hubs from. Put em in your pocket, or if you're like me and would feel guilty, ask 'em how much they want. They would most likely say just take 'em.
Not around here, hell last weekend the JY tried to charge me 15 bucks for a dizzy boot. That's ok it all evened out with the junk in my pockets. ;)

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright. i just bought a parts bronco with the 5 screw auto hubs. that'll save me from taking the j/y pockets scheme lol!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
anyone ever replace the whole secound lock ring cause the shear pin well... sheared off, instead of pounding it out and replacing it???

just curious, i mean dont hear it happen much [pins shearing] but it hapened to my dads 79 f100 d44. and we replaced it and trimmed the new one to the size of the pin off of the other side hub.

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it just occurred to me (after spending 2 hours messing w/ the 5 lug hubs) that the truck i pulled off of was a 94-96...so does that mean i don't need the parts 'cause the hubs came off of an (originally) 3 screw bronco?

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no, the bronco i took them off of was a 94-96 model year, if i understand this correctly, that bronco already had 3 screw hubs when it was converted to the warn manuals. So i don't need to adapt the hubs because they are all ready set up for 3 screw auto hubs...

·
Registered
65 Posts
The bronco you got the manuals from was converted for them to fit/work. you will need to replace the single retaining nut (as pic above)with the "conversion parts" (pic top row) for manuals to fit/work in your vehicle. as suggested before, go back and get them from the same bronco you got the manuals from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts