Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
You might want to compare prices with Lone Star Muffler. They did mine and did the brakes at the same time. Having said that the guys at 4 wheel are really nice but very busy. You usually have to make an appointment to get in.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
If you are changing from 3 bolt autos you will need a different retaining nut set-up. You do not need the expensive kit as these are just stock D44 retaining nuts.

Search thread titles for "hub swap" and you will find a good write-up.

EDIT: Here is a great write-up if you are changing over to manual hubs from 3-bolt autos:

http://www.froggmann.com/Bronco/Tech/3boltconv.htm

If you have 5-bolt autos or stock manual hubs you DO NOT need any other parts.

DOUBLE EDIT: Here is a thread on upgrading to Warn Premiums:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39861&highlight=Hub

If you are swappin stock manuals look in the "Tech Installs" forum for Bossind's write-up on brakes. Should be at the top cause he just posted it yesterday I think. He has step-by-step directions on hub removal.

And don't pay anyone to do it. It is so easy my 11 year old son did one side after just watching me.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I agree. Swapping hubs is way too easy to pay for install.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Agreed with above. As long as you have the tools, its a good thing to learn to do yourself.

The spanner nut for 3 bolt caps is different then the spanner nut for 5 bolt caps. So the 3 bolt requires a different socket then the 4 prong regular D44 socket. Some come out easy with a screwdriver and hammer to spin it. Stan the Man's required a chisel and we destroyed it taking it off (what a long day that was)

·
Registered
648 Posts
The nut kit is just the 2 spindle nuts and 1 washer. 4 wheel parts sells them in a bag for $8. I just did mine last weekend. Again you only need it if you have 3 bolts on your hub.

this is the same as the $50 milemarker or Warn conversion kit, so 4WP really hooks you up. If they don't have the nut kit in stock you can get it at Bronco Graveyard for $10.

I bought 2 sockets at AZ for the swap. One to take the old spanner nut out (10 seconds!), and another to torque down the new nuts in the kit. I'll never need the first one again unless I buy another bronco/f-150.

the hardest part is getting that first spring ring/c clip or whatever it is called out of the housing so you can pull out the autohub. I used a long sharp skinny pointer that came with a pumpkin carving kit and jammed it under the ring and it popped out easy.

Repack your bearings and change your brakes while you are at it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The nut kit is just the 2 spindle nuts and 1 washer. 4 wheel parts sells them in a bag for $8. I just did mine last weekend. Again you only need it if you have 3 bolts on your hub.
Does this count for all 3-bolt hubs regardless? I have an 82 with 3-bolt MANUAL no-name hubs and I'd like to convert them to the industry standard 6-bolt. I'm guessing it does count, but I want to be sure before I go spending money on hubs and then find they either won't work at all or need an additional conversion kit. Thanks!

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Does this count for all 3-bolt hubs regardless? I have an 82 with 3-bolt MANUAL no-name hubs and I'd like to convert them to the industry standard 6-bolt. I'm guessing it does count, but I want to be sure before I go spending money on hubs and then find they either won't work at all or need an additional conversion kit. Thanks!
on an 82 you will not need a converson kit, and iirc it should already be a manual hub, so why do you want to change them?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm going to have to do a brake/rotor job on it, so I figured while I had the hubs out due to replacing the rotors, I'd swap out to new hubs that weren't the 3-bolt hubs. Not to mention that I can't seem to find 3-bolt hubs at the local auto parts chains...

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
I'm going to have to do a brake/rotor job on it, so I figured while I had the hubs out due to replacing the rotors, I'd swap out to new hubs that weren't the 3-bolt hubs. Not to mention that I can't seem to find 3-bolt hubs at the local auto parts chains...
are they broken?...not working?...do you really use 4wd that much?...if not keep the originals and upgrade when needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts