Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a question about warn locking hubs. if i have the 5 bolt automatic locking hubs do i need the conversion kit? at the parts store, the guy behind the counter told me that i need the conversion kit to go from automatic locking hubs to manual locking hubs. here's a picture of my outer hub i just took:

here's the links for the hubs i am looking at:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=WAR&MfrPartNumber=20990&PartType=1335&PTSet=A

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=WAR&MfrPartNumber=20990&PartType=1335&PTSet=A

and here's the conversion kit they said i needed:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=WAR&MfrPartNumber=32720&PartType=1335&PTSet=A

i like the look of the premium hubs better and from what i've seen, they're better than the standards. thanks for the help everyone, sorry if any of this has been posted before, i did a search and didn't find the info i needed. if any of u find it, flame me if u must

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marauder, thanks for the help, i must have overlooked that. I checked out the info on Warns website and looks like i don't need the conversion kit. Yes, less money to spend. Looks like I'll be picking up some warn manual locking hubs. As far as I could tell from Warns website, they have a lifetime warranty. That's awsome. Thanks again for the help and I'll make sure I take pictures when I swap them. I might keep my automatic hubs as spares in case I'm doing any offroading and one of the hubs decides to give out on me. More junk for the toolbox.

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i'm bringing this dead post back up again. i got my manual locking hubs installed and they worked once, but then i switched them back and forth between free and lock, and now halfway thru the turn, the dial gets stiff to turn and they don't lock in the lock position. the guy at advanced auto parts said i might need the conversion kit, but i told him that warns website didn't say i needed one. he told me they could be defective or i put them in wrong and to bring both of them in with everything and the spindle nuts from one side to compare them to the ones in the conversion kit. here's a site that raf (bronkzilla) gave me to help with the auto hub to manual hub swap:

http://www.bayarea.tx4wd.org/bronco_hub.html

i did i followed these exactly as written, but maybe the retaining ring on the end might have slipped off. i'm gonna check them again to make sure everything is right. any and all suggestions are welcome. if anyone feels the need, flame away.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
if you started out with automatic hubs and went to manual hubs then i am almost positive you need the conversion kit. beerman, didn't you do this swap?

oh, and don't worry about breaking a warn premium. i highly doubt you'll do it in your life time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just did the swap last weekend on my 95 with a 3 screw cap for the hub. I was told if you have the 3 screw cap you will need the conversion kit. If you have the 5 screw cap then you will not need the conversion kit. FYI the snap ring to remove the automatic hub is one pain in the ass to remove. To make life easier I drilled a small tooth pick sized hole through the axle hole to stop the snap ring from moving around and around. Once I did that the snap ring pulled right out. Good luck and take your time with the snap ring once thats done its a 15 min job per wheel. Don't forget to lube the hub with plenty of waterproof grease.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
smokinjoestein said:
...FYI the snap ring to remove the automatic hub is one pain in the ass to remove. To make life easier I drilled a small tooth pick sized hole through the axle hole to stop the snap ring from moving around and around. Once I did that the snap ring pulled right out...
If you all will go purchase a $8-10 pick set that ring will come right out no problems!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Miketnf150 said:
If you all will go purchase a $8-10 pick set that ring will come right out no problems!
Yeah I had a pick set I broke one of them and bent another. The snap ring still spun so my dad who is a mechanic of 35 years drilled a small hole to stop the ring from spinning and bam out 3 seconds later. That little snap ring can be snappy if you don't know how to talk to her :doh:

·
0 Posts
Hey there, i have a 94 bronco that i did the hub swap on. Leave the fat toothed washer out when putting that back in. Somewheres in all the instructions it shows to leave out that old fatty washer. Good luck,

Anyone else know what i am talking about? Dustin does i think.

·
Super Moderator
25,810 Posts
affirmative, you do not need the conversion kit with the 5 screw cap cover set-up. Did you use the grease supplied w/the man. hubs?...or did you use more grease from another source?; too much grease isn't vg.

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i didn't see grease in the box so i used a little bit of the kind of grease used on u-joints, the guy at the parts store said that it should be ok. my hubs are fine, talked to a customer service rep today and he said that they don't click in the lock position until the truck is moved. the front end steers alot better and rides better not to.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
94_chickentaco said:
Hey there, i have a 94 bronco that i did the hub swap on. Leave the fat toothed washer out when putting that back in. Somewheres in all the instructions it shows to leave out that old fatty washer. Good luck,

Anyone else know what i am talking about? Dustin does i think.
Taco, Didnt you have the three torx screws auto hubs and went with the Superwinch, without the conversion kit? If so, that is what Superwinch Tech told me...."You Dont need it" :shrug :shrug :shrug

Allcruisen :imp :usa

P.S. As for the five bolt torx, you do NOT need a conversion kit. As for the truck needs to roll for it to click, thats a 1st for me :shrug :shrug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts