Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just recently installed a set of Warn Manual Locking hubs on my bronco and I seem to have a strange problem with them not "clicking" into lock on the drivers side of my vehicle. They "click" (disengage) into free with no problem on both and even "click" into lock on the passenger side but on the drivers side it seems to be an issue. I have taken both of the hubs apart and re-greased hoping it would solve any issues but I have had no luck. Now I want to explain my emphasis on "clicking" into lock:both hubs will TURN into place but one will not click.

Thanks for reading-

Fred

Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
:shrug I've got one that still doesn't click. As long as it's not slipping out, it may never be a problem.

Greasing them though... you may have fubar'd any warranty coverage. They say that's a no-no.

Premium Member
:shrug I've got one that still doesn't click. As long as it's not slipping out, it may never be a problem.

Greasing them though... you may have fubar'd any warranty coverage. They say that's a no-no.
Too much grease will cause them not to work as well. You only want them lightly coated with grease. When you buy them your not suppose to add any grease just install. (they come pre greased)

Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
Are these the premiums or the standards? My standards (black dial) click in but the premiums (metal dial) do not they just turn to the lock position like others have stated. I also would consider cleaning the grease off them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Are these the premiums or the standards? My standards (black dial) click in but the premiums (metal dial) do not they just turn to the lock position like others have stated. I also would consider cleaning the grease off them.
They are premiums. And thanks so much guys I just wanted to make sure mine are working properly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I took the hubs apart today and removed most of the grease. I'm still not sure that the drivers side is working. If I have the cap off and use my fingers to engage the lock it seems to be stuck so I don't feel confident that the hub is locking on the drivers side. Is there a better way to test if the hub is working properly?

Registered
Assemble the hub. Jack the driver side tire off the ground, so you can turn it by hand. Turn the selector to "lock". Now turn the tire. If the hub is engaging, you will be able to see the axle shaft turning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Assemble the hub. Jack the driver side tire off the ground, so you can turn it by hand. Turn the selector to "lock". Now turn the tire. If the hub is engaging, you will be able to see the axle shaft turning.
Thanks, I will give it a try!

Registered
The hub doesn't "click" unless it is exactly lined up with the axle. I got worried about it but did this experiment, click it on, and turn the axle itself. You'll hear it click into place in less than an eighth of a turn.

EDIT: Or if you jack it up and engage the hub, turn the wheel slowly, you'll hear it click.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The hub doesn't "click" unless it is exactly lined up with the axle. I got worried about it but did this experiment, click it on, and turn the axle itself. You'll hear it click into place in less than an eighth of a turn.

EDIT: Or if you jack it up and engage the hub, turn the wheel slowly, you'll hear it click.
Thanks so much! This is extremely helpful and I will be trying this out tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts