Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am fixing to get the warn manula hubs put on my bronco... and had a question...

if someone just happens to be an asshole and turn them on, and i drive without knowing, what will happen? will the 4x4 light be on inside? grinding, what?

and could yall please spare all the smartass comments on how that would only happen since im some big jerkoff or whatever, i just need some answers please. thank you

--ric

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
swamp thang said:

and could yall please spare all the smartass comments
--ric
Uhhhhhhhh...No.

Your truck will explode.

Kidding. Nothing will really happen. Turning your hubbs on only locks the axle shaft to the hub. You still have to shift into 4WD to engage the transfer case.

If someone does lock your hubbs when you're not looking you'll know...especially if they only lock one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input guys... another moronic question though! if some "ass" does happen to do this, and i drive, it might not be bad for the gears, but could it be bad for the axles and stuff that it will be turning? sorry for my stupidity :twak

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blaze said:
Nah, you'll be fine. Do you really expect this to be a problem? I've owned 4X4's all my life and have never had my hubs locked on me...:shrug
well not this particular problem, but just like that, or if i forget, or anything... :shrug im just wonderin since im about to get them, and want to know EVERYTHING possible about them.... the reason i ask is because my hubs are blown now (stock auto ones), and my truck constantly makes this grinding noise, especially when the wheel is straight, and sometimes when i am slowing down, there is this LOUD-ASS clickety clank sound until i stop, but goes away after.... and i know its the hubs because the grinding stops when i apply the brakes... sorry to ramble though! :thumbup

--ric

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Honestly you will be totally fine. with manual hubs, i will engage them when driving around town in the winter when conditions are bad, so if something happens and i need 4x4 i can hit it on the fly. the axel and driveshaft are designed to turn without breaking, so don't worry about it. plus you wont forget to unlock them for long, if you do you will be able to feel it. hell anyone in the truck who is paying attention, and knows anything will be able to feel it.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
i've heard that too... every month you should run about a mile or so with your 4wd engaged to keep everything lubricated and in working order...
I'm sorry. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but...huh?

All the moving parts in the pumpkin are sitting in 3 quarts of oil, even when they're not moving. The only part above the oil reservior on a reverse spiral axle is the outter pinion bearing but it will get plenty of lube from the slinger as soon as you start rolling in 4WD. Even at slow speeds the slinger works like a pump that is always primed, pumping oil through the channels of the housing to the pinion bearings.

Hell, it gets plenty of lubricant every time you accelerate in 2WD and gravity pushes the oil tword the back of the housing. That's why front pinion seals leak like a sive even when they're not in use. Gravity pushing the oil back.

Somebody help my out here. This is hurting me head for some reason.:banghead

·
Registered
111 Posts
Blaze said:
Nah, you'll be fine. Do you really expect this to be a problem? I've owned 4X4's all my life and have never had my hubs locked on me...:shrug
I've had to make it a habit to check my hubs every time I get in my 4x4. Hasn't mattered what city/state I've lived in. Seems like kids everywhere like to play with your hubs...oh, and take your valve caps while their there. Military bases and malls are the worst about it.
:mad: :banghead

·
Registered
741 Posts
dogonmut said:
I'm sorry. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but...huh?

All the moving parts in the pumpkin are sitting in 3 quarts of oil, even when they're not moving. The only part above the oil reservior on a reverse spiral axle is the outter pinion bearing but it will get plenty of lube from the slinger as soon as you start rolling in 4WD. Even at slow speeds the slinger works like a pump that is always primed, pumping oil through the channels of the housing to the pinion bearings.

Hell, it gets plenty of lubricant every time you accelerate in 2WD and gravity pushes the oil tword the back of the housing. That's why front pinion seals leak like a sive even when they're not in use. Gravity pushing the oil back.

Somebody help my out here. This is hurting me head for some reason.:banghead
Your thinking WAY to much, just agree and use it as an excuse to go wheeling.:thumbup

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I have mine in 4x4 enough not to worry about whether or not to have them in and out to lubricate, but I definately know that on my warn instructions say to lock the hubs ATLEAST once a month. I forget there explination as to why, but if you want I can go find the manual for them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts